SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Catching errors in DBCC CHECKDB

Catching errors in DBCC CHECKDB

Author
Ol'SureHand
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
IMHO, the backup will happen regardless of whether or not the CATCH block is executed (i.e. regardless of DBCC raising an error).
That is because the BACKUP command comes AFTER the END CATCH ....
What is the purpose of the TRY/CATCH block if not to avoid crashing an execution sequence?
vk-kirov
vk-kirov
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Ol'SureHand (11/4/2009)
IMHO, the backup will happen regardless of whether or not the CATCH block is executed (i.e. regardless of DBCC raising an error).
What is the purpose of the TRY/CATCH block if not to avoid crashing an execution sequence?

There is the RETURN statement after the RAISERROR:
     RAISERROR(@ErrorMessage, @ErrorSeverity, @ErrorState)
RETURN

This will interrupt the batch execution. See the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174998.aspx:
RETURN is immediate and complete and can be used at any point to exit from a procedure, batch, or statement block. Statements that follow RETURN are not executed.

Ol'SureHand
Ol'SureHand
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (589 reputation)

Sorry, did not even notice the "RETURN" in the CATCH block.
The eye did not see what the mind did not expect...
The solution with the "executesql" full documentation to capture the DBCC output is a useful contribution, thank you.
Dude76
Dude76
Old Hand
Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)

The DBCC will not raise an exception but only messages ("informative"), so the TRY/CATCH will not prevent anything (and so the 'return' statement will not be reach).
The Backup not fully verify integrity of database structure, just collect everything 'as it' and dump in bak file.
Which are the cases/limits/frontiers between success or fail in backup process over a corrupted db ?

edit: correct a false assert and so adjust the question Wink

My MCP Transcript (ID : 692471 Access : 109741229)
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

Ol'SureHand (11/4/2009)

But, why post same question for five times?

SQL DBA.
Ol'SureHand
Ol'SureHand
Mr or Mrs. 500

Well, there was a timeout each time I clicked "Post".
So I did not realise the message was being posted regardless ... sorry 'bout that! And there is no "delete post" button I could see...
Open Minded
Open Minded
Old Hand
Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)Old Hand (326 reputation)

Thanks for this! I would've lost time figuring out the T-SQL for backup for our database (SQL2k05) and Finance (SQL2K) server.

With this script, I could use this for db transfer to removable drive; for our DRP.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!
Piotr.Rodak
Piotr.Rodak
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Thanks, good question.
Piotr

...and your only reply is slàinte mhath
VM-723206
VM-723206
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (824 reputation)SSC Eights! (824 reputation)SSC Eights! (824 reputation)SSC Eights! (824 reputation)SSC Eights! (824 reputation)SSC Eights! (824 reputation)SSC Eights! (824 reputation)SSC Eights! (824 reputation)

That was a good question!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.