Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Anyone worked in SQL 6.0?

Anyone worked in SQL 6.0?

Author
Arun Jebakumar
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have worked with a few old boxes running SQL 6.5, but has never seen SQL 6.0 installed anywhere and stil extant.

heard 6.0 was the first version developed by Microsoft (after parting with Sybase) for Windows NT. anyone has worked on it before?
Stamey
Stamey
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)SSC Veteran (239 reputation)

Hey, I remember that. I started administering SQL Server with that version. So, yes, I have used it, and every version after it.
If you have a question about it, I will try to remember, but no guarantees.

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.
Rudyx - the Doctor
Rudyx - the Doctor
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

I have worked with SQL since v4.21 ...

also v4.21a, v6.0, v6.5, v7.0, 2000 ans 2005 (sorry no 2008 yet !)

likewise I will try - I even still have install source as well for v6.0 !

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

rudy komacsar - Doctor "X" (10/30/2009)
I have worked with SQL since v4.21 ...

also v4.21a, v6.0, v6.5, v7.0, 2000 ans 2005 (sorry no 2008 yet !)

likewise I will try - I even still have install source as well for v6.0 !

I have worked in 6.5, 7.0, 2000, 2005 and 2008 but I also know about 6.0 because there was a site in the late 1990s that covered just 6.0 because Microsoft stopped covering it.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I worked with 6.0. It was a rewrite and upgrade from 4.2. It was sold for only about 6 months, had some bugs, and MS upgraded to v6.5 very quickly, so not a lot of people used it. We were rewriting a system to go from v4.2 to 6.0 and had it briefly, but moved to v6.5 quickly.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Arun Jebakumar
Arun Jebakumar
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)

I had been thinking that SQL 6.0 was the first version developed for NT. but seems there had been a version 4.21 also Hehe

these evolutionary versions 4.21, 6.0, 6.5 really teach us how difficult installing database had been those days. :-D

in 6.5 there were two setups, one for Alpha and Intel. whn i ran the Alpha setup in an Intel server by mistake (a grave mistake though), it didnt give any warning, but simply crashed the server, and i had to reinstall everything..
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Yes I did indeed. I also worked with 4.2 which was a source copy of Sybase.
I would say 6.0 was the first version with a Microsoft flavor on it.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
PhilPacha
PhilPacha
Old Hand
Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)Old Hand (391 reputation)

I started with 6.0. We've used every version since, and are ramping up to convert to 2008 this Spring. My brain is pretty rusty about it, though...

ThomasRushton
ThomasRushton
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
I have run 6.0, but not for a *very* long time. My first SQL Server was 4.21, and I've worked with every version since then. To be honest, I remember very little about the pre-6.5 versions!
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Like the poster ahead of me, I have worked with it and all previous versions, but upgraded almost as soon as 6.5 became available.

CEWII
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.