SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

A Neural Network in SQL Server

A Neural Network in SQL Server

Author
Silvia Cobialca
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Neural Network in SQL Server
Open Minded
Open Minded
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)SSC Veteran (256 reputation)

i had a tough time building a neural network. i used mathematical functions to 'amplify', update then recast the result prior to output. it seemed the training would never end.

close to the end, i was thinking of allowing decimal values instead of integer values. i was maybe thinking, with decimal values it would look fuzzy enough to be accurate.

i had moved on to another company, leaving the project and with a heavy 'agreement of silence' signed just so i could leave clean.
Mark G.
Mark G.
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)

Great and unusual article related to database. Would it be possible to share the source code?

Cheers
isaac-609925
isaac-609925
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

Very ineresting, and very well explained.
Looking for the next session - can you share the source ?

Thanks

Isaac
Silvia Cobialca
Silvia Cobialca
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)SSC Rookie (30 reputation)

Thanks for you comments.
I will elaborate on the code and how it works in an incoming article, where I'll include the training and testing of the network

Silvia
Michael Martin-492204
Michael Martin-492204
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Hi Silvia: Thanks very much for sharing your methodology, and am really interested in reading your next posting! I've had some success emulating NNs in Excel, but scale becomes an issue eventually. Best Wishes, Michael
mjwehr
mjwehr
SSC Rookie

Thank you for sharing! Well written and understandable for me.
I am just starting to use SQL Server 2005/2008 as a tool specifically for developing data storage design to be used in predictive analysis as the end goal.
I am very happy to be able to get some insight to the development this early in the journey! MJWehr
Martin Vrieze
Martin Vrieze
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)SSC-Addicted (440 reputation)

I am aware that SSAS has full blown Econometrics built into the SSAS package capable of performing more than just neural nets...we're talking a full slate of linear regression/non-linear regression/discrete choice/arima/two-stage least squares/vector auto regression/co-integration...everything you would find in SAS or SPSS.

At the end of the day, you still need to get the data into the SSAS tool which is amazingly difficult...and why SQL Server is not a first choice among data analysts for handling statistical analytics.
Jonathan AC Roberts
Jonathan AC Roberts
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (857 reputation)SSC Eights! (857 reputation)SSC Eights! (857 reputation)SSC Eights! (857 reputation)SSC Eights! (857 reputation)SSC Eights! (857 reputation)SSC Eights! (857 reputation)SSC Eights! (857 reputation)

I can see that you can do this using SQL server but I fail to see any benefit to using SQL Server rather than wirting some code using a normal computer language like C.
Surely it is much slower using SQL Server?
sknox
sknox
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

jacroberts (10/27/2009)
I can see that you can do this using SQL server but I fail to see any benefit to using SQL Server rather than wirting some code using a normal computer language like C.
Surely it is much slower using SQL Server?

First, I take offense at your characterization of SQL as not a "normal computer language" -- unless, of course, you mean that it's above normal. Second, I laugh at your characterization of C as normal in any way. :-P

On a serious note, sometimes programming isn't about performance, or even about successfully accomplishing a task, but about learning. From the introduction to the article, it's clear that Silvia wasn't trying to create the most efficient or useful neural network, but more interested in how two programming concepts (a relational database and a neural network) might be brought together.

Also, bear in mind that many organizations can justify a SQL programmer where they can't justify a .NET or C programmer -- and they may benefit greatly from a neural network in SQL.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.