SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Being Around Smart People is Exciting

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Being Around Smart People is Exciting

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
jreece
jreece
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Yes, totally agree. I work in a small shop without many "smart people" and I not only start to enjoy my job less, but after a while get downright depressed about it if I've been sequestered too long. Attending a conference where I'm awed by the accomplishments and brain power of the speakers gives me the inspiration I need to go back and fight another day...
Julie Breutzmann
Julie Breutzmann
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

I find conferences recharge my batteries, too, even though I often feel tired at the end of each day. It's not just the sessions, but the interactions between sessions that can be quite valuable. While I work with many "smart" people, I gain exposure to new ideas, thoughts, concepts, etc.

Julie
john_jakob
john_jakob
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)

>> Being Around Smart People is Exciting

OK, sorry -- I just have to ask...

What is it then when one is around "Dumb" People?
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)SSC Guru (107K reputation)

Group: Administrators
If you are around average people, or those that aren't smarter than you in the area in which you work, it's tedious. It's moving along, and it's easy to get bored, or burned out with work.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Loner
Loner
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

Totally agreed. I used to work at a company with a lot of smart people. I was so happy to go to work every day, I did not mind to work overtime or took on extra work. I learned so much from them and it was fun.
Now at my current job, I am around a whole bunch of people have no motivation to work... I am dragging myself to go to work every day.
jreece
jreece
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (194 reputation)

you must work in the same place I do.
Bbonham
Bbonham
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

And it doesn't just have to be in the IT area. Try listening to the TED talks (http://www.ted.com/ ). I come away more energized and creative after listening to these energized, creative people.

ChiragNS
ChiragNS
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)

---- Being Around Smart People is Exciting

Being Smart is even More Exciting

"Keep Trying"
crookj
crookj
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (5K reputation)

Another this to keep in mind is...

How many of your peers, subordinates, and supervisors classify you as one of the Smart People that they like to be around?

Surround your self with smart people and you will increase your {smartness?}. Surround your self with positive people and your will have a positive outlook. Surround yourself with negativity and you will be in for some really long and difficult days!

Joe Cool
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.