Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL LEN Function

SQL LEN Function

Author
Manie Verster
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Rick Romack (9/10/2009)
I do disagree with this answer,
If I run
DECLARE @str NVARCHAR(10)
SET @str = '1, 2, 3, '
SET @str = LEFT(@str, LEN(@str)- 2)
select len(@str)
SELECT @str
The return for len(@str) returns 5 that would be '1, 2,' with no space after the comma.

If I copy the result of the SELECT @str to word and have it show all characters there is no space after the comma.

I was about to say I agree with you Rick and I actually did until......
DECLARE @str NVARCHAR(10)
SET @str = '1, 2, 3, '
SET @str = LEFT(@str, LEN(@str)- 2)
select '"'+@str+'"' mystr, len(@str) lenstr

The result as copied from sql server 2005 and 2008. Both gave the same results.
mystr lenstr
"1, 2, " 5

When I pasted the result in here directly from ssms I saw that there was actually a space at the end but what stumps me is the fact that it gave a LEN of 5 characters and that does not include the space at the end. Can someone please clear this for me 'cause I am stumped.

:-PManie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
Gatekeeper
Gatekeeper
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (404 reputation)SSC-Addicted (404 reputation)SSC-Addicted (404 reputation)SSC-Addicted (404 reputation)SSC-Addicted (404 reputation)SSC-Addicted (404 reputation)SSC-Addicted (404 reputation)SSC-Addicted (404 reputation)

Manie Verster (9/11/2009)

When I pasted the result in here directly from ssms I saw that there was actually a space at the end but what stumps me is the fact that it gave a LEN of 5 characters and that does not include the space at the end. Can someone please clear this for me 'cause I am stumped.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190329.aspx

It's just the way MS decided to display length. It could be part of an ISO standard on how to report string lengths. If you wanted true length, do LEN(@str+'-')-1.

/* Anything is possible but is it worth it? */
tmacs33
tmacs33
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)

very interesting. I too thought the results would be "1, 2,". Until I set the output to text and realized I was wrong.

I thought the final select would "automatically" trim the trailing space since the field type was set to varchar. Again very interesting....
rchantler
rchantler
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)

Also, LEN counts trailing tabs, but not spaces.
Adrian Charles Chetwynd-Talbot...
Adrian Charles Chetwynd-Talbot
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)

the given answer to this question is incorrect because the string variable contains 9 characters including the commas and spaces. Total length through first function being 9 - 2 = 7 and the first seven characters from the left is 1, 2, 3 which received more percentage of answers from the membership. w00t
tmacs33
tmacs33
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (503 reputation)

Adrian Charles Chetwynd-Talbot (9/17/2009)
the given answer to this question is incorrect because the string variable contains 9 characters including the commas and spaces. Total length through first function being 9 - 2 = 7 and the first seven characters from the left is 1, 2, 3 which received more percentage of answers from the membership. w00t

Keep in mind the data type nvarchar will remove the trailing space. So the length only starts with 8 characters rather then 9. The trick in this question was the trailing space was not removed after the second SET.
Dhruvesh Shah
Dhruvesh Shah
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)

didn't see option with space there...
Duncan Pryde
Duncan Pryde
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Nice question - had the same "doh!" moment as lots of other people by the look of it!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.