SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Rebuild Index Maintenance Job Running Long

Rebuild Index Maintenance Job Running Long

Author
KT8177
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I created a rebuild index job to run weekly on Sundays at 3am. I just used the wizard to create the maintenance plan, nothing fancy. The job has been running fine for weeks, takes about 20 minutes each time. But this past sunday, it ran for over 24 hours, someone went in and canceled it because the job was running too long. Does anyone know why this would happen all of a sudden? It's been pretty consistent since we first created the job back in May so it's been running smoothly for the past 4 months. We are running SQL Server 2008 Standard (x64) and it has SP1.

Any ideas why the rebuild index job would suddenly run so long? Thanks for the help!
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

online or offline rebuild.? A sudden long run time is often due to the process being blocked out by another process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcin Gol
Marcin Gol
Old Hand
Old Hand (334 reputation)Old Hand (334 reputation)Old Hand (334 reputation)Old Hand (334 reputation)Old Hand (334 reputation)Old Hand (334 reputation)Old Hand (334 reputation)Old Hand (334 reputation)

user activity? maybe some unfinished transaction ?
KT8177
KT8177
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)

It is an offline rebuild. I wonder if there was something that might cause it to be blocked but I wasn't the one that stopped the job at the time so I was able to check it out while it was still running. By the time i was notified of it, there wasn't any open transactions or any locks.
The job runs at 3am and is usually done by 3:20am. I'm not sure what caused it to run that long. Is there any other way I can figure out why the job took so long to run? Or is it pretty much nothing I can do at this point to find the cause?
umar iqbal
umar iqbal
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)SSC Veteran (230 reputation)

how big is the database. make sure you have enough disk space for it. almost need double the size of index sapce. also check in active proecesses if reindex is running.

Crazy Alien

Umar Iqbal
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

not much you can do post the event. set up some monitoring for the next run. Any new batch jobs been introduced that run at the same time?

Rajeev Ramachandran
Rajeev Ramachandran
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Did you change the Recovery Model? In FULL recovery model Index Rebuild takes long time due to logging of each and every page allocation.
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSChampion

note: 3 year old thread!

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.