SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Fixed to varying length

Fixed to varying length

Author
RichB
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Tricksy tricksy.

Good question, good follow up.

Learned something new today.

ta

sjimmo
sjimmo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

Excellent question - made me think, got it wrong, then learned something.

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Aaron N. Cutshall
Aaron N. Cutshall
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

I should not have made the assumption that the question was solely about the differences between char and varchar! I was assuming (see, that was my problem!) that the appropriate clean-up would be taken into consideration when I said that it would result in a 70% reduction. In that case, I would have been correct.

Werry twicky, you wascally wabbit! Smooooth

"...when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." -- Mosiah 2:17
The Dixie Flatline
The Dixie Flatline
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.4K reputation)

Good question and a good reminder.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills
john.arnott
john.arnott
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Hugo,

Thank you for this gleaming nugget. Although I'm a developer, not a DBA, I like to know something of what's under the hood with the tools we use. This QOD gave us double our money's worth -- an explicit rtrim() is necessary to fully take advantage of the move to varchar and the clustered index must be rebuilt to free the space used by the old fixed length column definition.

I've never been happier to get an answer wrong than this time -- really learned something valuable.
Tush
Tush
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (632 reputation)SSChasing Mays (632 reputation)SSChasing Mays (632 reputation)SSChasing Mays (632 reputation)SSChasing Mays (632 reputation)SSChasing Mays (632 reputation)SSChasing Mays (632 reputation)SSChasing Mays (632 reputation)

A simple but head scratching Question...! Crazy

Many thanks.I learnt something new today ! :-)

Thanks & Regards
-Tushar :-)
MCP,MCDBA(SQL 2000),MCTS(SQL 2005,2008),MCITP(SQL 2005,2008)

"Most Good Experience Comes From Judgement,
Most Judgement Comes From Bad Experience"
Right there with Babe (754 reputation)Right there with Babe (754 reputation)Right there with Babe (754 reputation)Right there with Babe (754 reputation)Right there with Babe (754 reputation)Right there with Babe (754 reputation)Right there with Babe (754 reputation)Right there with Babe (754 reputation)

Good question and best answer.
i never take any idia about this type problems.+
thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.