Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Linked AS400 stopped working

Linked AS400 stopped working

Author
tim.hulse
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thanks! Worked like a charm.
Rick Fisher-471776
Rick Fisher-471776
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Does anyone know if this was ever resolved? I can consistantly reproduce the error with 2008 R2 by restarting the server, and resolve by opening the Linked Server Object window with Management Studio. I am using IBMDA400 on a non-clustered server if these are significant.

The system (not clustered) is being used for manually initiated tests only, so I do not know if the error could occur at other times.

Rick Fisher
jay-h
jay-h
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (933 reputation)SSC Eights! (933 reputation)SSC Eights! (933 reputation)SSC Eights! (933 reputation)SSC Eights! (933 reputation)SSC Eights! (933 reputation)SSC Eights! (933 reputation)SSC Eights! (933 reputation)

The highly questionable 'technique' of opening the properties worked. Since that time the issue has not recurred.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Rick Fisher-471776
Rick Fisher-471776
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

thanks for response. did you mean management studio "open", or one of the 'code' suggestions. IF Micorsoft or IBM will ne resolve, I need an automatic solution, either at startup or perhaps after error detected.
John Cooper
John Cooper
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)

Did you ever find a working solution for this? I am having the same issue Sad
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

John Cooper (5/21/2014)
Did you ever find a working solution for this? I am having the same issue Sad

Read two posts above yours. Try that to see if it works. It has worked for me.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
John Cooper
John Cooper
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (178 reputation)

Thanks Jeff,

That's what I have been doing is opening it in SSMS, clicking on properties and then OK.
I was wondering if someone had found a better way. I manage 45 servers with 5 Linked Servers each so even though the properties
tab thing works, it's not practical.

I wonder if there is a programmatic way of doing it maybe? I'm going to investigate that.
Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

John Cooper (5/22/2014)
Thanks Jeff,

That's what I have been doing is opening it in SSMS, clicking on properties and then OK.
I was wondering if someone had found a better way. I manage 45 servers with 5 Linked Servers each so even though the properties
tab thing works, it's not practical.

I wonder if there is a programmatic way of doing it maybe? I'm going to investigate that.

I'd do a trace/xevent session against a dev server when opening the linked server properties window to identify what that actually does and then maybe try running a script that duplicates those actions against another dev server to see if it fixes the problem.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming
At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
John Cooper
John Cooper
SSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks Jack !

After much trial and error I found the trick.

I set up a scheduled job that runs every 5 minutes that executes this statement:

exec sp_enum_oledb_providers

This is the magic statement executed when you click on properties and then click OK.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

John Cooper (5/22/2014)
Thanks Jack !

After much trial and error I found the trick.

I set up a scheduled job that runs every 5 minutes that executes this statement:

exec sp_enum_oledb_providers

This is the magic statement executed when you click on properties and then click OK.

Haven't done a deep dive on it but that seems like a very nice trick. Thanks for posting it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.