SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Ten steps to migrate databases between servers in a .Net environment

Ten steps to migrate databases between servers in a .Net environment

Author
edwardelliott
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Ten steps to migrate databases between servers in a .Net environment
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Pretty interesting approach! This seems like it would work smoothly.

Did you run into any snags along the way?
edwardelliott
edwardelliott
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)SSC Veteran (211 reputation)

Hi Mark, The process is pretty straight forward.

The thing that really helped was getting backups restored on the new server and getting a test copy of the site working with that to make sure all the users were in place with the correct passwords etc. It certainly meant I was more confident when it came to failing the databases over.

ed
ggoble
ggoble
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)

Just a suggestion on step 3 i've found that using the transfer login task and setting copy sid's = TRUE is easier if you have multiple logins to copy.
timothyawiseman
timothyawiseman
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Brilliant article on a good technique. I am going to have to try this out before I actually need it.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
Tushar Kanti
Tushar Kanti
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (180 reputation)

Awesome article. I have to migrate a replication databases on 2000 servers to 2008 servers. Will it be possible in this case too?
ALZDBA
ALZDBA
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Very nice way to tackle the issue of hardware replacement !

Johan

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere w00t

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution :-D

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me Alien but most of the time this is me Hehe
edwardelliott
edwardelliott
SSC Veteran

Hi,

Thanks for the comments!

greggoble2 - your right using the transfer logins task can definitely help here.

tushkieeeee - unfortunately you can't mirror a sql 2000 instance, you can go from 2005 to 2008 though.

ed
rockniu
rockniu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

The process diagram looks very nice. May I know you are using which tool ? Is it vision 2007?:-)
edwardelliott
edwardelliott
SSC Veteran

not quite that advanced, visio 2003!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.