SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Installation of SQL Server 2005 on cluster returns error

Installation of SQL Server 2005 on cluster returns error

Author
Patti Johnson
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am receiving this error message when I try to install SQL Server 2005 Std on a clustered server.

The drive specified cannot be used for program location. Program files must be installed on a valid disk available on all cluster nodes. The valid values are:

There are no drives listed. It is blank. I can't get around this error.

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this?
DBA in Unit 7
DBA in Unit 7
Old Hand
Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)Old Hand (359 reputation)

Do all your nodes have the same local drive settings?
For example, you have local drives C and D on one node, and they should be present on all the other nodes too.
sqlbuddy123
sqlbuddy123
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Hi Patricia,

AFAIK the program files must be installed on the local drive i.e usually C or D drives.

Thank You,

Best Regards,
SQLBuddy
Patti Johnson
Patti Johnson
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)

Yes they are. The D: drive is the clustered drive.
Adam Angelini
Adam Angelini
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

for the disk you want to install SQL on, be sure you can move the disk resource to all the nodes in your cluster using cluster administrator.
Patti Johnson
Patti Johnson
Mr or Mrs. 500

Right now all I am trying to do is install on the C drive and it still doesn't work. I usually point the data files to the D: drive and that is where the database will reside.
Adam Angelini
Adam Angelini
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

you have to install SQL to a disk that on SAN storage that can be moved or "failed over" to any of the nodes. that way, if there is a hardware failure on nodeA, it moves those disks to the other node.
mtassin
mtassin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

I remember seeing this...

Do you have any offline storage resources in your cluster groups? I had this exact problem when I had an offline disk that I had no intention to use. Bringing the storage resource online solved it for me.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Patti Johnson
Patti Johnson
Mr or Mrs. 500

I will have to look at that. Right now the Windows SA's are looking at the server. I had this problem before and I don't remember what I did to resolve it. What is weird is there are no drive letters listed. They are blank. I am not sure what log to look at. Most of the logs have way to much information that you have to have a Dr's degree to understand them.
mtassin
mtassin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.9K reputation)

Patricia Johnson (8/12/2009)
I will have to look at that. Right now the Windows SA's are looking at the server. I had this problem before and I don't remember what I did to resolve it. What is weird is there are no drive letters listed.

That's what makes me point to an offline disk resource somewhere in the cluster. I had that problem before, and that's what literally caused it.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.