Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Map IP Address to a Geographical Location

Map IP Address to a Geographical Location

Author
hadrianhall
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
will come in handy. thanks
bez7-793740
bez7-793740
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Nice summary. We bought IP to city range a few years ago for $100 and it's served us nicely since, allowing us to show (albeit not ENTIRELY accurate) our customers numbers of page views within a distance range from their location. Also it's nice to have it mapped to zipcode.
webrunner
webrunner
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

Jeff Moden (7/25/2009)
Heh... sorry Peter... Thought you were trying to flatten the trajectory of a pork chop for some reason. :-D I'm a bit touchy because I'm trying to quit smoking, again....

Hi Jeff,

I'm rooting for you. I don't smoke, but I've seen how hard it is for people to quit. It can be done, though. And given what I have seen of the quality of your code and tenacity in solving SQL problems, you sure seem to have the stick–to–itiveness to achieve your goal!

- webrunner

-------------------
"I love spending twice as long and working twice as hard to get half as much done!" – Nobody ever.
Ref.: http://www.adminarsenal.com/admin-arsenal-blog/powershell-how-to-write-your-first-powershell-script

"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

webrunner (4/16/2010)
Jeff Moden (7/25/2009)
Heh... sorry Peter... Thought you were trying to flatten the trajectory of a pork chop for some reason. :-D I'm a bit touchy because I'm trying to quit smoking, again....

Hi Jeff,

I'm rooting for you. I don't smoke, but I've seen how hard it is for people to quit. It can be done, though. And given what I have seen of the quality of your code and tenacity in solving SQL problems, you sure seem to have the stick–to–itiveness to achieve your goal!

- webrunner

Heh... thanks. My biggest problem is that I really, really like smoking.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
skocsis
skocsis
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Great timing and write up. I started down this path with SQL 2K8 and GeoCity data. I'm an ESRI user and plan to mix this with spatial data stored in SQL spatial and ESRI's ArcSDE. This will provide a good sampling of our map application's usage and reach in....a map application--how novel.
Instead of using a bulk insert for user logs wouldn't IIS logging in SQL work well here?
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

I enjoyed revisiting this article. This is a job well done.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

sam-610757
sam-610757
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

Jeff Moden (4/16/2010)
webrunner (4/16/2010)
Jeff Moden (7/25/2009)

Hi Jeff,

- webrunner

Heh... thanks. My biggest problem is that I really, really like smoking.

I smoked for 20+ years. I have not had a cigarette in 2.5 years give or take. This is what it took for me to quit.

I chewed the gum and suckwed on the lozenges for 8 months, 4MG one after another. I switched to 2MG about a month before I stopped completely. After many months on the gum you will notice that you will wake up and not even think to get a piece sometimes, and after the habit of having a smoke has been broken choose a day like this to quit.

Sneaking even one cigarette is to start all over, try to avoid people who smoke while your quitting. I can be around smokers now without issue. I thought I loved cigarettes as well, but I wouldn’t go back for anything.
stevefromOZ
stevefromOZ
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Off topic -

Hey Jeff, head to Australia where they're contemplating $20 (!!!) a packet, am sure this could influence your behaviour Wink

Steve.
Clive Chinery
Clive Chinery
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Whilst the article was very good, I would like to issue a note of caution; even if the address does not appear to be that of a DHCP pool used by an ISP, the results may still be misleading as:

1) The traffic is routed via the company WAN to a quite different address - in an extreme case I have seen this give my address as being the United States whilst I was in England.
2) The address is that of the failities management company rather then the actual address. Again I have seen this give an address in Germany whereas I was definitly in the UK.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

stevefromOZ (4/18/2010)
Off topic -

Hey Jeff, head to Australia where they're contemplating $20 (!!!) a packet, am sure this could influence your behaviour Wink

Heh... it sure would. I'd build a quarter acre greenhouse and grow my own as an "insecticide". ;-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.