SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

/3GB Switch

/3GB Switch

Author
MichaelJasson
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
There is one requirement that I have to edit boot.ini file and make /3GB switch on in VistaDoze. I am not able to do that. I am a sql server DBA and I used to do this when I used to use win2000 and XP.

-MJ

-MJ
Please do not print mails and docx unless it is absolutely necessary. Spread environmental awareness.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)

MichaelJasson (6/30/2009)
There is one requirement that I have to edit boot.ini file and make /3GB switch on in VistaDoze.

Why do you want to do that?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Jeffrey Williams 3188
Jeffrey Williams 3188
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)SSCertifiable (8K reputation)

I wouldn't think you would want to do that on Vista. If you are running on x86 hardware, then the maximum memory you are going to be able to address is 3GB. Setting that switch won't leave any memory to the OS.

If you are running x64 - that switch won't do anything anyways.

So, I'm with Gail on this one - why do you want to do this?

Jeffrey Williams
Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
Managing Transaction Logs

hi_abhay78
hi_abhay78
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)

try BCDEdit.exe or Bootmgr.exe

Abhay Chaudhary
Sr.DBA (MCITP/MCTS :SQL Server 2005/2008 ,OCP 9i)
MichaelJasson
MichaelJasson
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)

Thanks for your response SSCrazy and Gail.

The reason I want to do that is that my application is running very slow. I want to allocate more memory to sql server because page reads/sec and page writes/sec are really havoc.

/3GB would help me allocating one GB more to sql server and would help increasing the cache/Buffer by 1 GB.

I think Cache and Buffer are same thing. Correct me if I am wrong.

-MJ

-MJ
Please do not print mails and docx unless it is absolutely necessary. Spread environmental awareness.
hi_abhay78
hi_abhay78
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (593 reputation)

Cache is inside the buffer Pool ..its a subset .

Abhay Chaudhary
Sr.DBA (MCITP/MCTS :SQL Server 2005/2008 ,OCP 9i)
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)

MichaelJasson (7/2/2009)
The reason I want to do that is that my application is running very slow. I want to allocate more memory to sql server because page reads/sec and page writes/sec are really havoc.

But we're talking a client OS. Doing this on a server that's dedicated to SQL is one thing, doing it on a client OS (especially one as memory-hungry as Vista) is something completely different.

Where is the SQL server that your app is using? One the Vista machine? If so, I recommend you move it to a proper server environment.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

MichaelJasson
MichaelJasson
SSC Veteran

Thanks. Following link defines well about buffer pool and cache. Should I use the files you gave me to enable /3GB switch. Can you give me any link which tells me that I can use them as I am going to do this on a production server.

-MJ
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

MichaelJasson (7/2/2009)
Can you give me any link which tells me that I can use them as I am going to do this on a production server.

A production server running Vista? You sure?

Before you add anything, can you maybe give some more info as to exact OS version, SQL server, amount of memory in the server and 32 bit or 64 bit?

Gail Shaw

MichaelJasson
MichaelJasson
SSC Veteran

Yes this is on Vista. My TL took a decision to have this on Vista and not Microsoft sql server 2008 which we proposed. I was not able to convince him with facts. Do you have any doc which informs me that this should not be on Vista.

My sql server version is as follows:
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2714.0 (X64) May 14 2009 16:08:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2) (VM)

I used DBCC MEMORYSTATUS and found many results. Out of which following gives enough information:

Available Physical Memory 342089728
Available Virtual Memory 844
Available Paging File 234
Working Set 133296128
Percent of Committed Memory in WS 100
Page Faults 5060377223231
System physical memory high 1
System physical memory low 0
Process physical memory low 0
Process virtual memory low 0

-MJ
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.