SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Access

Access

Author
Mighty
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Andrew Watson (6/25/2009)
I'm with David on this one. The question as written is totally ambiguous, and nvarchar or memo are equally valid answers, depending on how you parse the question.

I agree on this. Anyone who gave one of both answers, should be granted the point. Because the point is what it is all about!;-)
OCTom
OCTom
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

There are two "text" type fields in Access: Text and Memo. That's the way I read it.

But, I thought we were'nt supposed to use the SQL Server TEXT data type anyway.
Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

dmbaker (6/25/2009)
Gawd, I feel awful for actually knowing the answer. Sick

I got this one wrong. I can live with that.
knechod
knechod
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)

David Harder (6/25/2009)
I missed this also because I read the question. It says "What is the equivalent of 'text' data type in MS Access?"

Although the majority are getting it "correct" I also read it to mean the other direction. The question should have been worded something like "What is the MS Access equivalent to the SQL data type 'text'?"

I see I'm not the only one to read the question that way! Another vote for points!

Kevin

--
Please upgrade to .sig 2.0
JF1081
JF1081
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)

I read it and figured it could be answered both ways so I had a 50 - 50 change to get it right. I chose TEXT data type in Access = NVARCHAR data type in SQL
SMGarner
SMGarner
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)

It should be noted that the reference and notes apply to Unicode and Access 4.0.

Additional references:

Equivalent ANSI SQL Data Types
URL; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb177899.aspx

and

SQL Data Types
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb208866.aspx

indicate that text in MS Access 2007, Zero to a maximum of 2.14 gigabytes, equivalent to text in SQL. :-)
Mark Dalley
Mark Dalley
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)

knechod (6/25/2009)
David Harder (6/25/2009)
I missed this also because I read the question. It says "What is the equivalent of 'text' data type in MS Access?"

Although the majority are getting it "correct" I also read it to mean the other direction. The question should have been worded something like "What is the MS Access equivalent to the SQL data type 'text'?"

I see I'm not the only one to read the question that way! Another vote for points!

Kevin

Me too. The question contains an ambiguous inner join, I would suggest.

MarkD
renat ka
renat ka
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)SSC Journeyman (79 reputation)

this question should be rewritten, becuase of the ambigious reading!
Bhavesh_Patel
Bhavesh_Patel
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (677 reputation)Say Hey Kid (677 reputation)Say Hey Kid (677 reputation)Say Hey Kid (677 reputation)Say Hey Kid (677 reputation)Say Hey Kid (677 reputation)Say Hey Kid (677 reputation)Say Hey Kid (677 reputation)

I to got wrong

Bhavesh Patel

http://bhaveshgpatel.wordpress.com/
kalyani.k478
kalyani.k478
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (678 reputation)Say Hey Kid (678 reputation)Say Hey Kid (678 reputation)Say Hey Kid (678 reputation)Say Hey Kid (678 reputation)Say Hey Kid (678 reputation)Say Hey Kid (678 reputation)Say Hey Kid (678 reputation)

confused as Acess has both text n memo data types...Got it right thoughw00t
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.