Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Trusting Online

Trusting Online

Author
crookj
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Trust! Trust, but Verify! This was a signature phrase of Ronald Reagan. Even if you fully trust someone it is extremely wise to run the tests yourself.

While the Trustee may have given you a procedure that is great for the common masses - He or She does not have all the facts and variables of your situation so it may not work for you.

Joe Cool
David Reed-223505
David Reed-223505
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)

So... what're you sayin', Steve? You don't trust me? Hehe
jay-h
jay-h
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)SSC Eights! (925 reputation)

Lynn Pettis (6/25/2009)

I have to disagree. I think "trust " is the correct word. You "trust" a doctor to provide you with proper medical career, but would you "trust" him with your favorite sports car, checkbook, or to rebuild your desktop PC?

Trust comes in many forms.

I agree. Trust is not binary. It's a highly fluid calculation tht we make using mental machinery not even accessible to our conscious mind. Trust/distrust mechanisms are far older than our species and are highly nuanced.

And yes, trust online involves many of the same mechanisms short of body language that are used in our web of trusts in the 'real' world. You tend to trust people whose thinking you can understand, who've dealt well with your in the past, who've dealt well with others that we trust. It's all a mental calculus, that while refined by experience, is significantly instinctive.

Without this subtle skill society could not function. So much resources (mental and physical) would be consumed by protection of self and assets that cooperation would be impossible.

No trust is immune to being misplaced, and the close trusts violated are far more emotionally devastating than trusts that are more at arms length (violation of trust by spouse vs by a hired contractor, for example)

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
GabyYYZ
GabyYYZ
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)Say Hey Kid (673 reputation)

Double-checking a solution suggested by the more seasoned gurus on this or other sites is perfectly fine. If I run it on my own desktop, and it doesn't work, either there was a typo or error in remembering all of a table's or view's columns (for example, can you all name, off the top of your heads, what all the columns are when selecting from sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats(...)?). As long as the logic and spirit of the solution is sound, you can still be confident in that person's abilities.

People being people, however, a bona fide mistake, an error in the logic, will eventually occur. Give the person the same professional feedback as they gave you and they should be grown up enough to say, "Oh! How did I miss that? Thank you."

I can only imagine the discussions that Paul and his wife, Kimberly Tripp, have when they catch each other's mistakes, rare as they may be. Eventually will want to make it to a SQL conference and see them both present the same subject. I've heard they're quite spirited. :-D

Gaby

GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Gaby Abed (6/25/2009)
I can only imagine the discussions that Paul and his wife, Kimberly Tripp, have when they catch each other's mistakes, rare as they may be. Eventually will want to make it to a SQL conference and see them both present the same subject. I've heard they're quite spirited. :-D

It's ... an experience. Almost like it's a cross between a presentation and a comedy.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

GilaMonster (6/25/2009)
Gaby Abed (6/25/2009)

It's ... an experience. Almost like it's a cross between a presentation and a comedy.

I take it that saying they may have "a difference of opinion" on various subjects is putting it mildly??

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Lynn Pettis (6/25/2009)
GilaMonster (6/25/2009)
Gaby Abed (6/25/2009)

I take it that saying they may have "a difference of opinion" on various subjects is putting it mildly??

No, not really. More that they're perfectly at ease teasing each other on stage, while presenting

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
David Reed (6/25/2009)

Sure, far as I can throw you, which come to think about it, might be a good distance! :-P

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
David Reed-223505
David Reed-223505
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)SSC Veteran (214 reputation)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/25/2009)
David Reed (6/25/2009)

Sure, far as I can throw you, which come to think about it, might be a good distance! :-P

Geez, I haven't lost that much weight. Bring your sparring pads the next time you're on campus, sensei. We could even sell tickets for charity! w00t
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Ha!, you spar for real. I'm just an old geezer going through the motions.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.