SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How to Post Performance Problems

How to Post Performance Problems

Author
epriddy
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
LOVE the tips!! At work, I'm a go-to person for query help and agree that the 3000+ is a bit overwhelming. I'm going to encourage users to read your article!! ;-)
JJ B
JJ B
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)

I really liked you article not only because it was very easy for anyone to read and understand, but because the tone was polite and not condescending as sometimes happens in these types of articles. Great job.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)SSC Guru (85K reputation)

GilaMonster (6/12/2009)
Grant Fritchey (6/12/2009)
Now if only people will read and follow the advice here.

Read it is a possibility. Expecting everyone to follow the advice might be a little too much to ask for though.

Outstanding article, Gail. Added that bad boy to my signature line. ;-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
David Burrows
David Burrows
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.5K reputation)

Lynn Pettis (6/12/2009)
I already added it to my signature block!

Many more and it will be a full blown reference library w00t

btw Excellent article Gail :-)

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.

Anon.

MattieNH
MattieNH
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

Hi Gail,

Your article discusses exactly the kind of question I'd be likely to post, and I'd love to follow your suggestions. And being brand new to a post-2000 SQL Server, I figured I'd follow along and create an execution plan on a stored procedure. I was with you all the way up to Include Actual Execution Plan, but when I right click on the execution plan tab and bring up the menu to Save Execution Plan As, that option, as well as the Show Execution Plan XML option, are greyed out. Am I missing a step somewhere? I've attached a screen picture of what I'm seeing.

I agree, it was an excellent 'how to' article.

Thanks,
Mattie

Attachments
GreyedOut.bmp (20 views, 2.00 MB)
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

Are you sure that the server's SQL 2005 or 2008? The save-as will be greyed out if the server is SQL 2000. If that's the case, follow the steps for SQL 2000.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

MattieNH
MattieNH
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.2K reputation)

Gail,

That's why you're the exceptional DBA, or at least one of the judges. That's exactly it, almost all of our databases are still 2000, and this is one of them. I'm just so entrenched in using QA/EM for 2000, and SSMS for 2008, and I forget that it's the database, not the IDE.

Thanks so much,
Mattie

ALZDBA
ALZDBA
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Great article Gail.
I'll add it to my forum signature w00t

Johan

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere w00t

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution :-D

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me Alien but most of the time this is me Hehe
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

Nice article Gail.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Dugi
Dugi
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

The Article is very nice and perfect organized. Thanks for sharing!

:-)

============================================================
SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.