SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Backup Monitoring and Reporting

Backup Monitoring and Reporting

Author
cmille19
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Backup Monitoring and Reporting

Ted Krueger
Ted Krueger
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (509 reputation)

Very nice! I would optimize some things in the coding for large installations with hundreds of backups going on every hour (logs etc..) though. Example would be to the exclusion table and the "AND d.name NOT IN (SELECT db_name FROM dbautility.dbo.db_exclude)". Could be replaced with a JOIN logic and get the NOT out of there.

All in all I enjoyed reading it and I can see this benefiting quite a few DBAs out there. Thanks!
Paul Randal
Paul Randal
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

Chad - excellent. I'll be adding a link to this in all my DBA classes.

Paul Randal
CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005
Rui Nogueira
Rui Nogueira
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)SSC-Addicted (446 reputation)

Good article, Backup Monitoring and Reporting

There is a mistake in it:

msdb.baclkupset -> msdb.backupset

Thank You

http://www.arcns.no.sapo.pt
Dugi
Dugi
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

Yea, very nice article! It is in my briefcase now! Thank you for sharing! ;-)

============================================================
SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
sqlstad
sqlstad
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

When I get execute the jobs I get the following error by starting the powershell script:
Exception calling "WriteToServer" with "1" argument(s): "Violation of PRIMARY K  EY constraint 'PK_backupset_dim'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.ba  ckupset_dim'.  The statement has been terminated."  At D:\CustomReports\backupAnalysis.ps1:59 char:28  +     $bulkCopy.WriteToServer( <<<< $dataTable)Exception calling "WriteToServer" with "1" argument(s): "Violation of PRIMARY K  EY constraint 'PK_backupset_dim'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.ba  ckupset_dim'.  The statement has been terminated."  At D:\CustomReports\backupAnalysis.ps1:59 char:28  +     $bulkCopy.WriteToServer( <<<< $dataTable).  Process Exit Code 0.  The step succeeded.

cmille19
cmille19
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

sanderstad (6/5/2009)
When I get execute the jobs I get the following error by starting the powershell script:
Exception calling "WriteToServer" with "1" argument(s): "Violation of PRIMARY K  EY constraint 'PK_backupset_dim'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.ba  ckupset_dim'.  The statement has been terminated."  At D:\CustomReports\backupAnalysis.ps1:59 char:28  +     $bulkCopy.WriteToServer( <<<< $dataTable)Exception calling "WriteToServer" with "1" argument(s): "Violation of PRIMARY K  EY constraint 'PK_backupset_dim'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.ba  ckupset_dim'.  The statement has been terminated."  At D:\CustomReports\backupAnalysis.ps1:59 char:28  +     $bulkCopy.WriteToServer( <<<< $dataTable).  Process Exit Code 0.  The step succeeded.

Try running update_server_dim_sp this wil update the server_dim.max_backupset_id column. Also keep in mind the primary key is defined as server_name and backup_set_id. The server name value is obtained from @@servername, so its possible to have duplicate names of your SQL Servers in your environment. Check @@servername on all servers you are polling and verify there are no duplicates.

cmille19
cmille19
SSCrazy

Rui Nogueira (6/4/2009)
Good article, Backup Monitoring and Reporting

There is a mistake in it:

msdb.baclkupset -> msdb.backupset

Thank You

Thanks -- I made a few spelling and grammar corrections, it might take a few days to show up.

jackie.jones
jackie.jones
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (408 reputation)SSC-Addicted (408 reputation)SSC-Addicted (408 reputation)SSC-Addicted (408 reputation)SSC-Addicted (408 reputation)SSC-Addicted (408 reputation)SSC-Addicted (408 reputation)SSC-Addicted (408 reputation)

Really really helpful and well written - thank you very much.
BJCharly
BJCharly
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)

Nice article, thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.