SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Database Modeling and Diagrams with SQL Server 2008

Database Modeling and Diagrams with SQL Server 2008

Author
cdunn-906001
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
@ChrisHarshman It is possible to 'export' the Database Diagram "data" to survive rebuilds or apply to different instances. I first found a script to do that back on SQL Server 2000, which I updated myself for 2005 and then 2008.

ScriptDiagram2005
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/ScriptDiagram2005.aspx

ScriptDiagram2008
http://conceptdevelopment.net/Database/ScriptDiagram2008/

We are doing continuous integration with our database (using RedGate) and use the above to save each Diagram to a file and re-create each time the database is "built from scripts".

Note that the diagram data contains 'pointers' to your schema objects -- if you re-create a Diagram on a database instance that is missing some of the tables then they naturally disappear from the diagram (this has occasionally confused people using these scripts).
Josh Grant
Josh Grant
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)

Another handy way to export diagrams from any version of SQL Server is to "print" to a PDF, using a tool such as PDFCreator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/).
Chris Harshman
Chris Harshman
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Cdunn, thanks for the info! I'll have to check that out.
sbright-613196
sbright-613196
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Now the DD print is nice. But I also want to print Data Dictionary. I have defined the extended property "Description" for each table. I also entered the Description for each table column. How can I export/print these table/column descriptions to a nice Data Dictionary document?
Ariel Wagner
Ariel Wagner
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Congratulations!!!

I mean to the Author of the article Wagner Crevelini, which he has the same last name that I Am of the Argentinean republic and my grandfathers have to me counted who are relatives in the United States, distant cousins perhaps.¶Good, greeting kindly and thanks to share your knowledge.¶It salutes kindly, a friend of the south.

:-D
adenjones
adenjones
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Iam connecting to a remote sql server database and when I right click on Database Diagrams I don't get the Create Diagram option. Is it possible that they have disabled the creation of Diagrams from within Management Studio.

PS Iam using Sql Server 2008 (Enterprise) Management Studio.
ingham.r
ingham.r
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Can you get the data diagran to use views
Revenant
Revenant
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

You have a diagram of the involved tables in View Designer.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.