SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Database mail

Database mail

Author
shanila_minnu
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have configured database mail,but send test email is not working...in another sever i configured and it is working fine.In database mail log itis showing the following error

The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 3 (2009-05-18T14:01:46). Exception Message: Could not connect to mail server. (No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it).
)
Jonathan Kehayias
Jonathan Kehayias
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

This is telling you that the mail server is rejecting your request to send email. Check firewall settings between the two servers, and then check to see if your SQL Server is authorized to relay through the mail server or if it requires additional configuration of your mail server to do so.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs
shanila_minnu
shanila_minnu
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)SSChasing Mays (655 reputation)

how can we check the firewall settings
Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)

In addition to what Jonathan is recommending you should also check your anti-virus setting (if you have AV on your SQL Server). By default McAfee blocks Database mail through it's access protection setting, prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail. When this happens you get the error you listed. You need to add database mail (DatabaseMail90.exe) as an exception to the rule.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming
At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
shanila_minnu
shanila_minnu
SSChasing Mays

ya it is the problem of blocking....how can i resolve this...please help me
Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)SSC-Forever (43K reputation)

shanila_minnu (5/18/2009)
ya it is the problem of blocking....how can i resolve this...please help me

Jack Corbett (5/18/2009)
You need to add database mail (DatabaseMail90.exe) as an exception to the rule.

If you are using McAfee Enterprise and do not administer it, you need to have your McAfee administrator add it to the exceptions list for that rule.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

shanila_minnu
shanila_minnu
SSChasing Mays

In virus scan console=>Access protection =>prevent massmailing worm from sending mail=>in that i have to uncheck the options...am i right??????
Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSC-Forever

Yes you could disable it that way, or you can go to that point and go into the rule's properties and add DatabaseMail90.exe to the exception list. As I said in one of my earlier posts, if you are using the Enterprise edition and have a central update server and policy you need to have the McAfee administrator add the exception to the policy, or any changes you make locally will be overwritten by the policy.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Jonathan Kehayias
Jonathan Kehayias
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

I am with Jack on this, it is better to allow by rule rather than allow for all when dealing with your firewall and anti-virus, worm prevention software.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs
shanila_minnu
shanila_minnu
SSChasing Mays

jack..

Thanks for ur above update...but i dont know how to reach the "rule prperties"...please help
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.