SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SELECT FUN

SELECT FUN

Author
Jayeff
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (184 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
mike (4/22/2009)
Hey! Not fair. I lost a point because of a missing ORDER BY ? Like a previous poster mentioned, both 1 and 2 are correct. Crying

Can I get my point back please?

Yeah, me too!
beezell
beezell
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

From Microsoft: "The exact results of a UNION operation depend on the collation chosen during installation and the ORDER BY clause."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191141(SQL.90).aspx

This is for SQL Server 2005. I'm assuming it applies to other versions as well. It appears that behind the scenes SQL Server does sort it as part of the duplicate elimination process. This will not be done with UNION ALL though.

For the record: An ORDER BY should be used as part of best practices.

Cheers,
Brian
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)

select NULL,'manoj'union select Null,'1'union select NULL,'manoj'
order by 2

or

order by 1

gives you same result.

NULL 1
NULL manoj

I tried on all sql server versions and result is same. May be I am missing something here when some people are telling both 1 & 2 answers are correct.

SQL DBA.
Ronald H
Ronald H
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Jayeff (4/22/2009)
mike (4/22/2009)
Hey! Not fair. I lost a point because of a missing ORDER BY ? Like a previous poster mentioned, both 1 and 2 are correct. Crying

Yeah, me too!

And see, you both got you point just by posting that you want your point back. Wink

Ronald Hensbergen

Help us, help yourself... Post data so we can read and use it: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2+2=5 for significant large values of 2
StarNamer
StarNamer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

SanjayAttray (4/22/2009)
order by 2

or

order by 1

gives you same result.

NULL 1
NULL manoj

I tried on all sql server versions and result is same. May be I am missing something here when some people are telling both 1 & 2 answers are correct.
The point is that, as documented, the order of results from a union without an explicit ORDER BY cannot be guaranteed. As Hugo pointed out, it is possible under some circumstances to get a different order, hence, in theory, both answers are correct.

Of course, adding 'ORDER BY 2 DESC' forces answer 2. :-)

Derek
Michael Poppers
Michael Poppers
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

r.hensbergen (4/22/2009)
Jayeff (4/22/2009)
mike (4/22/2009)

Yeah, me too!

And see, you both got you point just by posting that you want your point back. Wink

Good point Smile...but shouldn't these Qs be screened for accuracy?
john.arnott
john.arnott
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

SanjayAttray (4/22/2009)
order by 2

or

order by 1

gives you same result.

NULL 1
NULL manoj

Try actually specifying an "order by" that can be honored by the dbms:
select NULL,'manoj'
union select Null,'1'
union select NULL,'manoj'
order by 2 desc

This returns the same two rows in a different order:

----------- -----
NULL manoj
NULL 1

(2 row(s) affected)

So, the difference between the two 2-rows-returned answers comes down to whether you assume the same collation was chosen (or accepted) at installation time. I lost the point because as a mainframe programmer I've got EBCDIC stuck in my head and figured that letters would sort before numbers. But even as I thought that, I was grumbling to myself that without an "order by", it's a crap-shoot between the two.
SanjayAttray
SanjayAttray
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)

John,

With " order by 2 desc " are you not forcing the query to get result in the way you had desired?

select NULL,'manoj'
union select Null,'1'
union select NULL,'manoj'
order by 2 desc

SQL DBA.
Chris Howarth-536003
Chris Howarth-536003
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (627 reputation)SSChasing Mays (627 reputation)SSChasing Mays (627 reputation)SSChasing Mays (627 reputation)SSChasing Mays (627 reputation)SSChasing Mays (627 reputation)SSChasing Mays (627 reputation)SSChasing Mays (627 reputation)

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but I don't think that any of the answers provided are correct.

If you interpret a comma to be a column delimiter, the results should be either:

NULL,manoj
NULL,1

...or:

NULL,1
NULL,manoj

Note that all of the answers in the original question have single quotes around manoj.

Chris
brewmanz
brewmanz
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)Right there with Babe (769 reputation)

I got it right (guessed that it would sort alphabetically to remove duplicates, but that's not guaranteed, as mentioned)
However, I reckon that *none* of the answers are (or should that be 'is?) correct.

I would prefer to see
NULL, '1' and NULL,'manoj' (2 rows)
rather than
NULL, 1 and NULL,'manoj' (2 rows)
as the answer, as all the second-field values are clearly stated as character strings.

Some may call that being picky, but hey, two of the 'mutually exclusive' answers are actually the same, according to set theory.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.