SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Read_Only Database

Read_Only Database

Author
JohnSmith001
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (105 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Read_Only Database

John Smith
beezell
beezell
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

I ran this statement against a SQL Server 2000 database and got this message:

Msg 5058, Level 16, State 5, Line 1
Option 'READ_ONLY' cannot be set in database 'MASTER'.

I think the correct answer is E. Anyone else agree with me on this?
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

I agree, but I only ran this against 2005 instance (no access to 2000).

makes more sens to not have it read only in the first place.

On 2008 it's definitly not possible to make it read only.
dunnjoe
dunnjoe
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

This is what I got when I ran it in 2005...

Msg 5058, Level 16, State 5, Line 1
Option 'READ_ONLY' cannot be set in database 'master'.
beezell
beezell
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

The original question was asked about 2000, but I tried 2000,2005,2008 and they all gave me the same error. Now the article that was referenced did mention that it could be done on a 2000 master database, but I wonder if one of the service packs changed this functionality this... Still I think the question is invalid.

Cheers,
Brian
Vinay Thakur-585143
Vinay Thakur-585143
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Yes, I tried on Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Standard Edition) this option is disable on Master database, could be Enterprice edition might be having... question should specify the version and edtion of 2000... else the answer E is right...I want my points.:-D

Thanx
Vinay

Thanx.
Vinay

http://rdbmsexperts.com/Blogs/
http://vinay-thakur.spaces.live.com/
http://twitter.com/ThakurVinay
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

It's a bit hard to believe that 67% of the people are wrong about this Wink.
Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Even though BOL says it can be done, I tried it on Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2050 Enterprise Edition and it fails there also.
dunnjoe
dunnjoe
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

I suspect that the reason the error message was because the master database was in use, not because it is invalid to set read only on master. Since all the background processes use master how can there be no users to set read only?
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
One Orange Chip

Maybe using DAC to connect or having the whole server in single user... but then what's the point of setting master to read_only??
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.