SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Read Registry

Read Registry

Author
CDBA
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I need a script to find below information from remote servers:
INSTANCE PORT Number (From Registry)
collation from SERVERPROPERTY
Could any one please help? Many thanks in advance

CDBA

vick.ram79
vick.ram79
Old Hand
Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)Old Hand (337 reputation)

I think you should check out xp_cmdshell. You can then create your own exe to read the registery and call it from the shell.

How To Post
Lowell
Lowell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)

well, if you run the script below, it will read the registry and tell you teh listening port...
i duoubt this will work over a linked server, which is what i assume you mean by a remote server?

CREATE TABLE #GetPort
(
token varchar(100),
value varchar(20))
go

DECLARE @inst varchar(200)
DECLARE @inst1 varchar(100)
--Determine registry path and key
IF(charindex('\',@@servername) > 0)
BEGIN
SELECT @inst = substring(@@servername,charindex('\',@@servername) ,50)
SELECT @inst = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server'+@inst+'\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp'
--SELECT @inst1 = 'TcpDynamicPorts'
SELECT @inst1 = 'TcpPort'
END
ELSE
BEGIN
if SUBSTRING(@@VERSION,23,1) = '7'
begin
SELECT @inst = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\SuperSocketNetLib\VIA'
SELECT @inst1 = 'DefaultServerPort'

end
else
begin
SELECT @inst = 'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp'
SELECT @inst1 = 'DefaultPort'
end
END

print @inst + '\\\\////'+ @inst1

INSERT #GetPort
EXEC master..xp_regread 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', @inst, @inst1

SELECT substring(@@servername,1,25) as ServerName, value as port FROM #GetPort

DROP TABLE #GetPort

Lowell
--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!
CDBA
CDBA
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)SSC Eights! (826 reputation)

Thank you both for the idea and scrpit. I am working on this..
I understand that the script given will work if I am connected to server only. However the issue is I can not connect to the servers. So I need to run this (similer) code against all servers (name will be found in a table) using some batch
If you have furher idea.. plz share
Thanks again

CDBA

Lowell
Lowell
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)SSC Guru (72K reputation)

i tried running the command over a linked server; basically i tried changing the last command to a 4 part command:
EXEC linkedservername.master..xp_regread 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', @inst, @inst1

got this error:

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SQLEXPRESS\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp\\\\////TcpPort
Msg 7411, Level 16, State 1, Line 43
Server 'db1' is not configured for RPC.

maybe if RPC was enabled for the server, but i dunno...it's getting out of my area of knwoledge.

i think you'll have to do this in a programming language, or use RegEdit to connect to the remote machines using your domain credentials manually.

you could also try SQLRecon.exe, which scans a network for servers and reports back a lot of information, but it is not possible via a linked server.

Lowell
--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!
CDBA
CDBA
SSC Eights!

Thanks a lot... I will try to explore from my end also and will post here if I get a better way..
Thanks again :-)

CDBA

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.