SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Almost Like a Service Pack

Almost Like a Service Pack

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)SSC Guru (141K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Almost Like a Service Pack

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Tim Walker.
Tim Walker.
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Interesting article...

ruancra
ruancra
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (104 reputation)

Hi

I found your topic very interesting, being a dba myself, i got layed off beginning of March and will stay at my current job untill the 5th of April. I started in January.

We are 5 dba's at a small company, and they decided to let someone go. I have not asked for, or claiming any severance pay but with the current economy being what it is, its difficult to find jobs out there, i basically have less than 2 weeks, and have found nothing so far. Hopefully i'll get lucky before then.

cheers
Ruan
mhaskins
mhaskins
Old Hand
Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)Old Hand (305 reputation)

I thought that it was interesting that Microsoft, a company that is creating the leading edge of software technology in North America, can't hire competent financial staff. :-P
I told the story to the HR/Payroll person at the small company that I work for and she suggested that maybe some of the payroll were on the layoff list and wanted to cause a little trouble. I told her that not everyone is as vindictive as she is. Hehe
Even though it is not a pay week, I probably shouldn't joke with her like that though. Unsure

Mia

I have come to the conclusion that the top man has one principle responsibility: to provide an atmosphere in which creative mavericks can do useful work.
-- David M. Ogilvy
Tobar
Tobar
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Your right Steve, "I'd hope that many more would stop for a minute and realize", but we do not live in a stop and think/realize world. Just look at the mess around us here in the US.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
mark.hammond
mark.hammond
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (158 reputation)

I don't believe this is the first layoff at Microsoft. A friend was laid off from their graphics department in the 1990's.
GSquared
GSquared
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)SSC Guru (55K reputation)

mark.hammond (3/24/2009)
I don't believe this is the first layoff at Microsoft. A friend was laid off from their graphics department in the 1990's.

It's their first mass layoff, per what I've read.

Also, I've read that what happened is some rows in a spreadsheet got out of synch and thus some people got other people's severance pay. For some, they got more, others got less. Could happen to anyone.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
David Reed-223505
David Reed-223505
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (564 reputation)

The last place of entertainment that I left ripped a huge chunk out of my last check to reimburse themselves for employment-related expenses that they paid for that I didn't know had strings attached. [expletives deleted] If it hadn't been for the generous signing bonus from the current employer, there might've been some brief cash flow problems @ Fort Reed.

I'm still frosted about it (three years later), but I haven't figured out how to get their Excel rows disordered... yet. Fortunately, they seem to be planning to go out of business soon, so mismanagement may save me the trouble.

Internally, everybody breathed a sigh of relief when HR forced finance to backpedal on the overpayments. That was the best outcome of a bad situation. Agreed, a little QA would've helped... Which is why I sort of feel bad for the situation relating to the AIG retention "bonuses" -- even though the mainstream media conspiracy wants us to hate everyone @ AIG past, present and future.
Rudyx - the Doctor
Rudyx - the Doctor
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Definitely an interesting article Steve ... alot in a little to 'chew on' from both an ethical and a personal morals and values point of view.

However MS just plain blew it - it seems that they 'ate their own dogfood' in trying to do too much with too little for too long - inevitably causing a blunder within their own processes and a minor PR foible.

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
cerberusiam
cerberusiam
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

mhaskins (3/24/2009)
I thought that it was interesting that Microsoft, a company that is creating the leading edge of software technology in North America, can't hire competent financial staff. :-P

You have NO idea, tip of the iceberg. LMAO!! Whistling
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.