Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Union Benefits

Union Benefits

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Union Benefits

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
SQLSimon
SQLSimon
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)SSC Rookie (27 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
The US standard for vacation is just 2 weeks????

2 weeks? I'm stunned.

2 weeks?
peter.lundquist
peter.lundquist
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

I fell really sorry for you guys in the US, in Sweden we have almost all in the list
Mike Cunningham
Mike Cunningham
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)

correct me if I'm wrong, there are personal days on top of that aren't there???
Shaun McGuile
Shaun McGuile
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (595 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (595 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (595 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (595 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (595 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (595 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (595 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (595 reputation)

UK min Holidays is 20 working days

+ we get about 7 public holidays as well

Most firms have 24+ work days holidays.

USA holidays suck!

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work Crazy
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)

Shaun McGuile (3/6/2009)
UK min Holidays is 20 working days

South Africa is minimum 15 working days (3 weeks), generally increasing as a person is promoted (I had 24 at my last company)

Plus 12 public holidays and a law that states that should a public holiday fall on a sunday, then the monday will be a holiday providing it is not already

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

toniupstny
toniupstny
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)SSC Veteran (258 reputation)

Some form of Job security and protection against outsourcing.
P Jones
P Jones
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)

Compulsory flexitime would be a great benefit to all - you clock in and out, but when you work over you are credited with the time and can take it off when you need it or just work shorter days.

There are core hours on a day - for us core is 10-11:30 and 2-3:30 and you have to be within set limits at each month end but can take up to two flexi days off a month - plus the 25 days holiday (rising to 30 after 5 years service) and about 10 days bank hols/Queen's birthday etc.

As a civil servant I've got flexi and decent chairs and good training and a final salary pension and life insurance...
the pay is just 30% lower than industry
Mike Cunningham
Mike Cunningham
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)SSC Veteran (210 reputation)

I'm obviously in the wrong job..... lol, now where's my local civil service based???? Smile
Ian Brown-213389
Ian Brown-213389
Valued Member
Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)Valued Member (73 reputation)

...a final salary pension and life insurance...
the pay is just 30% lower than industry

I sometimes wonder what extra proportion of our income those of us in the private sector would have to sacrifice to get the same pension...but then we'd still have a defined contribution and not defined benefit scheme. But the stock market never goes down and trashes pensions does it?

There is no problem so great that it can not be solved by caffeine and chocolate.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.