SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server Execution Plans

SQL Server Execution Plans

Author
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Execution Plans

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
rajesh_r_Varma
rajesh_r_Varma
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)

its really great book.
Many Thanks to Author of this book.

Thanks,
Rajesh Varma
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)SSC Guru (93K reputation)

I had no idea this little forum existed.

You're welcome. I'm glad the book was at all useful.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Abrar Ahmad_
Abrar Ahmad_
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)

Grant, if following tiny confusion can be explained?

Do DMV/Fs provide "Actual Execution Plan" or "Estimated Execution plan" specially Sys.DM_exec_Query_Plan?

Logically it should be "Actual Execution Plan" rather than "Estimated Execution plan"! But XML from DMV/Fs does not contain any <RunTimeInformation> tag! :-)

Thanks!

Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru

Abrar Ahmad_ (4/4/2011)
Grant, if following tiny confusion can be explained?

Do DMV/Fs provide "Actual Execution Plan" or "Estimated Execution plan" specially Sys.DM_exec_Query_Plan?

Logically it should be "Actual Execution Plan" rather than "Estimated Execution plan"! But XML from DMV/Fs does not contain any <RunTimeInformation> tag! :-)

Thanks!

What you are pulling out of the cache is an estimated plan. The actual plans, with performance metrics based on the parameters passed are not stored.

Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)SSC Guru (59K reputation)

Thanks for the book!

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Hey grant I've surfed to http://www.scarydba.com/2008/07/02/code-from-dissecting-sql-server-execution-plans/ to download the code of the book and I just can't seem to find the download button.

Care to help a blind man?
CDA
CDA
Old Hand
Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)

first great book; thanks for the free download.

I've passed this on to my team for recommended reading.

second question: why does the word Kindle in front of Ebook bump the price 10 bucks? Smile

Ninja's_RGR'us
Ninja's_RGR'us
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

CDA (7/11/2011)
second question: why does the word Kindle in front of Ebook bump the price 10 bucks? Smile

IIRC that book first came out on amazon. Then it was brought in to simple-talk as a free gift.

All in all the 1000s of hors spent writing the book were supposed to bring in some $. So I guess this is why the 10$ for kindle edition.

P.S. The kindle link does not work.
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)

Thanks for the download, I have been struggling with understanding this topic for a while. I am sure this will help.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.