Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

ISNULL USING MDX IN SSRS

ISNULL USING MDX IN SSRS

Author
samata.putumbaka.ext
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I am trying to using ISNULL equivalent in MDX using ISEMPTY.

I want to compare 2 dates and display the not null date value in the report.
The MDX expression I am using is:

IIF(ISEMPTY(DATE1),DATE3,DATE2)

DATE1 = [DATE1].[DT Date]
DATE2 = [DATE1].[DT Date].ALLMEMBERS
DATE3 = [DATE3].[DT DATE].ALLMEMBERS

The result always displays the LAST DATE specified in the condition i.e. DATE2 in he above scenario, irrespective of the IIF Condition.

Could you please help me in resolving the issue lease!!!
Bob Griffin
Bob Griffin
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

IsEmpty doesn't check for null...
from BOL:

Dealing with Empty Values in MDX Statements and Cubes
In Multidimensional Expressions (MDX) statements, you can look for empty values and then perform certain calculations on cells with valid (that is, not empty) data. Eliminating empty values when performing calculations can be important because certain calculations, such as an average, can be inaccurate if empty cell values are included.
If empty values may be stored in your underlying fact table data, and you do not want empty cell values appearing in your cube, you should create queries and data-modification statements that either eliminate empty values or coalesce empty values into some other value. Additionally, you can use the Null Processing option on a measure to modify null facts so that the null is converted into 0, converted to an empty value, or even throws an error during processing.

null processing
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170707(SQL.90).aspx
samata.putumbaka.ext
samata.putumbaka.ext
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Then how should the MDX be framed to display date2 when date1 is null?
Bob Griffin
Bob Griffin
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

I would probably change the query to produce something other than null that you can use your iif statement on...also you could set the null processing or unknown member settings as per the article or you could find a function besides isempty to use in the iif statement(not sure if this exists)....Smile
andymay-496937
andymay-496937
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)

I am going to change the query so that the null is not returned, but it would be nice to have the option when nulls are encountered and changing the cube structure is not an option. Is there no way of replicating the isnull functionality?
erdem1973
erdem1973
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (101 reputation)

If you want to use this in SSRS then you should use ISNOTHING statement.

such as:

IIIF( ISNOTHING([saleunit].value)=true, 1,0)

You can also use the following code:

IIF ( saleunit.value IS NOTHING,1,0)

I hope it helps
Peter Smart
Peter Smart
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Try COALESCEEMPTY(date1, date2). Returns the first nonempty field
davoscollective
davoscollective
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (603 reputation)SSChasing Mays (603 reputation)SSChasing Mays (603 reputation)SSChasing Mays (603 reputation)SSChasing Mays (603 reputation)SSChasing Mays (603 reputation)SSChasing Mays (603 reputation)SSChasing Mays (603 reputation)

Ah thanks this one works well
IIF(CoalesceEmpty(Field,0) = 0, True,False)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.