SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Difference between varchar(max) and varchar(8000)

Difference between varchar(max) and varchar(8000)

Author
Max-146500
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Ooh, I think I'm going to watch this one.

Max
charlesz
charlesz
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)

Sorry about my mistake. I should not trust document from Microsoft 100%. Here is a sentence from "Tabular Data Stream Protocol Specification".

"A type with unlimited max size, known as varchar(max), varbinary(max), nvarchar(max), which has a max size of 0xFFFF,..."

You can get the specification from http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/e/6/ae6e4142-aa58-45c6-8dcf-a657e5900cd3/%5BMS-TDS%5D.pdf (page 36)

By the way, Our product communicate with SQL Server using TDS protocol, we do not really care about how long varchar(max) and nvarchar(max) columns can hold.
Michael Valentine Jones
Michael Valentine Jones
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

charlesz (2/3/2009)
Sorry about my mistake. I should not trust document from Microsoft 100%. Here is a sentence from "Tabular Data Stream Protocol Specification".

"A type with unlimited max size, known as varchar(max), varbinary(max), nvarchar(max), which has a max size of 0xFFFF,..."

You can get the specification from http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/e/6/ae6e4142-aa58-45c6-8dcf-a657e5900cd3/%5BMS-TDS%5D.pdf (page 36)

By the way, Our product communicate with SQL Server using TDS protocol, we do not really care about how long varchar(max) and nvarchar(max) columns can hold.

Maybe you should avoid using documentation of the "Tabular Data Stream Protocol Specification" to answer questions about how the SQL Server 2005 Database Engine works, instead of the actual SQL Server 2005 Books Online Documentation.
noeld
noeld
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

Jeff Moden (2/3/2009)
charlesz (2/2/2009)
Second, NVarchar(MAX) and Varchar(MAX) can only hold up to 65535 bytes ( The number posted by Gail Shaw was wrong).
Our product DB-WAN Accel communicates with SQL Server using TDS protocol.

Charles Zhang
http://www.speedydb.com

Lynn Pettis (2/2/2009)
So, I must agree with Jeff, who and where did you here that so that they may be properly corrected. I see pork chops in someones future!

And, since this is a form of "forum span", here's the first pork chop... why would anyone in their right mind even consider buying a product from a person who can't even get a grip on the basics of T-SQL... ie. the max values of data types?

++1

I could not have replied any better!

* Noel
noeld
noeld
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

Really ?

Keep all those buffers with infinite length in memory your product is going very well.

* Noel
SQAPro
SQAPro
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)SSC Veteran (246 reputation)

noeld (2/3/2009)

Really ?

Keep all those buffers with infinite length in memory your product is going very well.

heh ++

{pulls out his buffer overrun test data, rubs his hands gleefully and cackles an evil laugh} Lets see how that app handles a 1.1megachar string shall we? Tongue

Oh and the Storage size is 2^31-1 but we're not talking 8 bit ascii are we? so remember that the actual max Length for anything you stuff in there is going to be 1,073,741,822
charlesz
charlesz
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)SSC Veteran (223 reputation)

The contents of Varchar(MAX), NVarchar(MAX), VarBinary(MAX), and XML fields are encoded using "Partially Length-Prefixed" (PLP in short). A PLP stream starts with total length (8 bytes), followed by current length ( 4 bytes, the length in the current packet) then followed by the actual contents. When a column contains more than one packet (the maximum packet size is 65535) can hold, a number of "PLP" streams will be sent from server to client.

Our product is called "DB-WAN Accel", it caches/compress/decompress the query results to speed up the data transfer over wide area networks. It does not really care how big VARCHAR(MAX) columns are.

As I said in previous post, for a column mostly stores very short strings, the overhead of Varchar(MAX) is significant.
J-440512
J-440512
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Sounds like the beginning of a flame war.

Let's keep our cool here.

Regards
SwePeso
SwePeso
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

charlesz (2/3/2009)

As I said in previous post, for a column mostly stores very short strings, the overhead of Varchar(MAX) is significant.
There is no overhead when the "string size" is less than 8000 bytes.

N 56°04'39.16"
E 12°55'05.25"
SwePeso
SwePeso
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

An example...

-- Prepare sample data
CREATE TABLE CharlesZ
(
i INT IDENTITY(1, 1) PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED,
ss VARCHAR(MAX) NOT NULL
)

-- Insert short string
INSERT CharlesZ
SELECT 'Peter Larsson'

-- Insert long string