Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Difference between varchar(max) and varchar(8000)

Difference between varchar(max) and varchar(8000)

Author
jchandramouli
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

whats the actual difference between varchar(max) and varchar(8000). Is the difference applies same for nvarchar(max) and nvarchar(8000).

Thanks in advance.

"I Love Walking In The Rain So No One Can See Me Crying ! " ~ Charlie Chaplin
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)

Varchar(8000) stores a maximum of 8000 characters. Varchar(max) stores a maximum of 2 147 483 647 characters.

See Books Online, the page titled "char and varchar" for more info.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

John H Marsh
John H Marsh
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Hello,

May be worthwhile taking a look at the following FAQ page, as it is a bit clearer than the BOL description:-

http://www.sql-server-helper.com/faq/sql-server-2005-varchar-max-p01.aspx

Regards,

John Marsh

www.sql.lu
SQL Server Luxembourg User Group
SwePeso
SwePeso
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

VARCHAR(MAX) uses the normal datapages until the content actually fills 8k of data.
When overflow happens, data is stored as old TEXT, IMAGE and a pointer is replacing the old content.

N 56°04'39.16"
E 12°55'05.25"
charlesz
charlesz
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)

First, you cannot have NVarchar(8000). Since varchar or NVarchar can only hold up to 8000 bytes, so the maximum length for NVarchar is 4000.

Second, NVarchar(MAX) and Varchar(MAX) can only hold up to 65535 bytes ( The number posted by Gail Shaw was wrong).

Third, the communication protocol of SQL Server (Tabular Data Stream (TDS) ) using Partially Length-Prefixed structure to encode lengths of "MAX" fields , if you mostly store very short strings in those fields, the overhead is significant.

Our product DB-WAN Accel communicates with SQL Server using TDS protocol.

Charles Zhang
http://www.speedydb.com
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)

charlesz (2/2/2009)
Second, NVarchar(MAX) and Varchar(MAX) can only hold up to 65535 bytes ( The number posted by Gail Shaw was wrong).

Any bets on that?

DECLARE @Test   VARCHAR(MAX),
@String VARCHAR(MAX)

SELECT @Test = '',
@String = '1234567890'

;WITH
cteTally AS
(--==== Create a Tally CTE from 1 to 10,000
SELECT TOP (10000)
ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY t1.ID) AS N
FROM Master.sys.SysColumns t1
CROSS JOIN Master.sys.SysColumns t2
)
SELECT @Test = @Test + '1234567890'
FROM cteTally

SELECT LEN(@Test)

I have to ask... where did you get such an idea? I'd like to know so I can go straighten them out. Wink

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

Jeff Moden (2/2/2009)
charlesz (2/2/2009)

Any bets on that?

DECLARE @Test   VARCHAR(MAX),
@String VARCHAR(MAX)

SELECT @Test = '',
@String = '1234567890'

;WITH
cteTally AS
(--==== Create a Tally CTE from 1 to 10,000
SELECT TOP (10000)
ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY t1.ID) AS N
FROM Master.sys.SysColumns t1
CROSS JOIN Master.sys.SysColumns t2
)
SELECT @Test = @Test + '1234567890'
FROM cteTally

SELECT LEN(@Test)

I have to ask... where did you get such an idea? I'd like to know so I can go straighten them out. Wink

And now, direct from Book Online for viewing pleasure!

varchar [ ( n | max ) ]
Variable-length, non-Unicode character data. n can be a value from 1 through 8,000. max indicates that the maximum storage size is 2^31-1 bytes. The storage size is the actual length of data entered + 2 bytes. The data entered can be 0 characters in length. The SQL-2003 synonyms for varchar are char varying or character varying.

And

nvarchar [ ( n | max ) ]
Variable-length Unicode character data. n can be a value from 1 through 4,000. max indicates that the maximum storage size is 2^31-1 bytes. The storage size, in bytes, is two times the number of characters entered + 2 bytes. The data entered can be 0 characters in length. The SQL-2003 synonyms for nvarchar are national char varying and national character varying.

So, I must agree with Jeff, who and where did you here that so that they may be properly corrected. I see pork chops in someones future!

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)SSC Guru (74K reputation)

charlesz (2/2/2009)

Really? What makes you right and Books Online wrong?

Or is this just an excuse for you to advertise your product?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

jchandramouli
jchandramouli
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)

Thank you everyone.

"I Love Walking In The Rain So No One Can See Me Crying ! " ~ Charlie Chaplin
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)

charlesz (2/2/2009)
Our product DB-WAN Accel communicates with SQL Server using TDS protocol.

Charles Zhang
http://www.speedydb.com

Lynn Pettis (2/2/2009)
So, I must agree with Jeff, who and where did you here that so that they may be properly corrected. I see pork chops in someones future!

And, since this is a form of "forum span", here's the first pork chop... why would anyone in their right mind even consider buying a product from a person who can't even get a grip on the basics of T-SQL... ie. the max values of data types?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.