SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate
 
Log in  ::  Register  ::  Not logged in
 
 
 


Are the posted answers getting worse?


Are the posted answers getting worse?

Author
Message
RBarryYoung
RBarryYoung
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Points: 14946 Visits: 9518
OK, we've had fun bashing frustrating posters & topics.

But to be fair, we should hold ourselves much more accountable than them (after all, we do know better). So this topic is devoted to pointing out our own mistakes, blunders and bloopers.

The rules: You can only point out your own flaws and failings (or someone's whom you are are on good enough terms to get away with it Smile ). No mere typos or grammar errors either. This is for really dumb, stupid things that either:

1) Make you look like an idiot, or
2) Leaves everyone scratching their heads, saying "what the heck was that?", or
3) Completely contradict your own point, or
4) Is the opposite of what you tell everyone else to do.

And yes, I'll go first...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who does this guy "RBarryYoung" think he is? He can't even get a simple query right. Check this out: here.

Man, what a bonehead!

(Edit: Believe it or not, I got the link wrong too!)

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Lowell
Lowell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Points: 28463 Visits: 39964
i really like the answers that point to a link with letmegooglethatforyou.com...i really think it makes people think twice.

so yeah, our answers might be a little arrogant when we do that...but hey.

really, i think there are only like 6 questions that keep getting repeated over 90 percent of the posts, and the other 10% are the ones that we enjoy.

The most common? i think are:
1. not understanding how to get a datetime or dateadd value in a query?
2. pivot table/crosstab/rows-to-columns?
3. how do i fill in non-existant data with a Tally Table?
4. comma delimit a bunch of fields or columns into a single field?
5. how do i find out who deleted/updated something?
6. what's the answer to my homework?

Lowell

--
help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

RBarryYoung
RBarryYoung
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Points: 14946 Visits: 9518
Well, I agree with your list Lowell. And I do use that link sometimes myself (mostly with my kids). But neither of those are the point of this topic. The point is, find a reply that you made that you wish you never had and point it out here. BigGrin

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Points: 39876 Visits: 38563
As it may difficult to critique myself. I decided that I'll let any of the top 15 forum leaders have the honor of pointing out my mistakes. I have faith in their knowledge and abilities and feel that they are best to critique me on this forum.

Have fun, be kind, yet firm.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Points: 87334 Visits: 41113
RBarryYoung (1/21/2009)
Man, what a bonehead!


And all that time.... I thought it was a helmet. Wink

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Points: 87334 Visits: 41113
BWAA-HAA!! I'd like to see a thread on nominations as to who can fire the best pork chops and it can't be yourself! Here's a recent post that would fit the bill...

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic641279-8-1.aspx?Update=1

That's gotta be one of the driest, on the mark pork chops I've ever seen. Tongue

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
RBarryYoung
RBarryYoung
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Points: 14946 Visits: 9518
Jeff Moden (1/21/2009)
RBarryYoung (1/21/2009)
Man, what a bonehead!


And all that time.... I thought it was a helmet. Wink

No, no, no, dude! The helmet is to cover-up my bonehead.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
D.Oc
D.Oc
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Points: 1079 Visits: 6480
Lowell (1/21/2009)


really, i think there are only like 6 questions that keep getting repeated over 90 percent of the posts, and the other 10% are the ones that we enjoy.

The most common? i think are:
1. not understanding how to get a datetime or dateadd value in a query?
2. pivot table/crosstab/rows-to-columns?
3. how do i fill in non-existant data with a Tally Table?
4. comma delimit a bunch of fields or columns into a single field?
5. how do i find out who deleted/updated something?
6. what's the answer to my homework?



good list, Steve should put this as a Sticky on top of every section Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------
"It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

RBarryYoung
RBarryYoung
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Points: 14946 Visits: 9518
Lowell (1/21/2009)
really, i think there are only like 6 questions that keep getting repeated over 90 percent of the posts, and the other 10% are the ones that we enjoy.

The most common? i think are:
1. not understanding how to get a datetime or dateadd value in a query?
2. pivot table/crosstab/rows-to-columns?
3. how do i fill in non-existant data with a Tally Table?
4. comma delimit a bunch of fields or columns into a single field?
5. how do i find out who deleted/updated something?
6. what's the answer to my homework?

Number 4 should be modified, or we need an additional one:
4a. split a column with comma-delimited values into multiple columns

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Points: 63570 Visits: 19115
I probably have a few good ones, maybe more in articles than answers, but I'd like to think that most of us have good answers, often backing each other up.

I don't see a lot of bad answers from people, sometimes incomplete or not thought out, or leading the OP down a path that will get them into trouble by answering the question and not asking for more details.

If you find some of mine, be sure to post them. I'm sure I've made quite a few mistakes. No editorial links, please, I hear about mistakes there quite often already.w00t

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go


Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.
You can't delete your own posts.
You can't delete other posts.
You can't post events.
You can't edit your own events.
You can't edit other events.
You can't delete your own events.
You can't delete other events.
You can't send private messages.
You can't send emails.
You can read topics.
You can't vote in polls.
You can't upload attachments.
You can download attachments.
You can't post HTML code.
You can't edit HTML code.
You can't post IFCode.
You can't post JavaScript.
You can post emoticons.
You can't post or upload images.

Select a forum

































































































































































SQLServerCentral


Search