SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Process Task Not Executing when Scheduled

Process Task Not Executing when Scheduled

Author
rmahon
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a "process task" in a package running a secure ftp to an offsite client. It will run fine in the development environment (on my machine and on the server). Once I deploy the package to the server and schedule it...this task always fails.

I am using psftp.exe from puTTY as the executable. Could any please help with this...I am tired of manually running this every morning when I get in to work.

Thanks in advance.

Mukti
Mukti
Old Hand
Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)

When you run manually its using your credentials and when run as a job it runs under the SQL Server Agent credentials. Make sure the user under which the agent is running has appropirate permissions.
You can create proxy account for this, follow:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912911

HTH
rmahon
rmahon
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)SSC Rookie (40 reputation)

Thanks for the reply Mukti -

Is it a must that you create a proxy account? The link below has two methods and states to use one of the following...

I did Method 1 and the job hangs until timeout.

Mukti
Mukti
Old Hand
Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)Old Hand (350 reputation)

Can you do a simple test? Logon to the machince using the SQL Server Agent account and from the command line try to test run the psftp.exe see if it throws error.

Just want to check if the sql server agent has permissions to run the exe...
rmahon
rmahon
SSC Rookie

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU...and THANKS AGAIN!!

When I ran it from the command line as the agent account...it prompted for a trusted key. As soon as I said yes...the process completed from the command line.

I went back the scheduled job and fired it off and it worked like a charm!

I appreciate you input!!!

Marius.D
Marius.D
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (114 reputation)

Guys,

I thought the report was running, while it was actually just hung. I'm still having the same problem, I can run it from BIDS but not when scheduled under sql server agent. I even moved the report locally, gave that share full access to everyone - doesn't make a difference.

So how do you do that, log in or run as SQL server agent? Is this account supposed to show up under users? I have the service set up to login as a domain user account, which for sure has the credentials to run that report.

I appreciate your help!!
rmahon
rmahon
SSC Rookie

I verified the user that is used to start the SQL Server Agent under the SQL Server Configuration Manager. I then used that user to login to the server and ran the process task of the scheduled job from the command prompt.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.