SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Upgrade SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 2005

Upgrade SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 2005

Author
David O
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hmmm it doesn't appear there is any easy way to do that. Writing a script to add all the logins and resolve the database users should be easy. I can help you write the script if you need it. The issue is you are looking a loosing the passwords and having to do a mass reset.

Is that an option?
Vivien Xing
Vivien Xing
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Try DBArtisan (free trail) to script login/user. Not sure whether the new version supports SQL 6.5 or not. The old version does.
sqldba.paree
sqldba.paree
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)

The main thing is not lose the Passwords.
So, I'm looking to comeup with a script using which I can script the logins along with passwords.
After I'm ready with the script to generate Logins and passwords from source SQL6.5 , then I would run it on SQL 2000.

That would be great if you could help me.
Margaret Norkett
Margaret Norkett
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

It's been a long time ago that I updated from SQL 6.5 to 2000, but it seems like there is a DTS task to move log ins.

Have you tried DTS?

Thanks and have a NICE day!,

Margaret

sqldba.paree
sqldba.paree
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)

DTS packages do not support versions before SQL7.0

I tried to do the DTS task, and it gave me Server SQL-DMO error.
Thanks for suggestion.
David O
David O
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)

I found the code I was looking for. I might be from one of the previously mentioned KB articles but if you send me your e-mail via a private message. I'll send it to you.

It this doesn't work I think your stuck and will have to recreate the logins and loose the passwords.

David
Jan Van der Eecken
Jan Van der Eecken
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Hi David,

Please don't send solutions via private emails/PMs. The people reading these threads are all interested in what you (or any forum member for that matter) can contribute to the questions posted. So please post your replies on the forum even if you think it is a shot in the dark. The PO will see it coz he/she will be alerted if someone replies to their original question.

Thanks,
Jan

PS: I'm quite interested in the PO's question as well. Still got one 6.5 database around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)
SailorBo
SailorBo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

As Version 7.0 supports DTS, then perhaps the solution is to migrate to 7.0 first, then use DTS to get from 7.0 to 2005. Or use multiple steps: 6.5 to 7, 7 to 200, 200 to 2005. These are all proven to work and lots of help can be found making those individual steps, where-as jumping from 6.5 to 2005 has been accomplished by scant few.

Might just be the answer...

/Scott
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.