Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Basics of Sizing a SQL Server Database

The Basics of Sizing a SQL Server Database

Author
d-458788
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
...and why did this thing show up in my inbox today as if it was a fresh article??? You mean to tell me that given a full year, they had to recycle the SAME non-article???
CyclingRabbit
CyclingRabbit
Valued Member
Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)Valued Member (67 reputation)

I have a question regarding the script provided at
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight/usp_databases.txt

How is this different from running the sp_helpdb procedure which, among other things, returns the sizes of all the databases?

Thanks.

Alin
dbrodine
dbrodine
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

You might be interested in "Mathematical Server Sizing" software, freely available on SourceForge. Here's a link.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&type_of_search=soft&words=mathematical+server+sizing

Be sure and check out the documentation with this project. It describes some sample sizings. For a formal description of the math involved, see IEEE "Computer", July 2006 issue.

Good luck!
ChiragNS
ChiragNS
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

i could'nt download the storedproc.

"Keep Trying"
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

I couldn't find the sproc either...

Article was high-level, and give a real-world view (easier to use the tools than try and tackle it manually). Thought it was good- maybe could have a bit more meat about sizing db's or some general advice (try to make them big enough to start so they dont expand when you're not expecting it etc.)
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Sorry I could not learn much from this article. If atleast he could discuss some features of the products he mentioned in the article elaborately, then it would have been fine.

Logicalman
Logicalman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

This was a year old??? SEVEN years more like !!!!!! It arrived in my inbox 8/1/08 !!!

Nice article, informative - if you wish to purchase third-party software (though a good point made concerning how easy it is to miscalculate the true size of databases by hand).
I would ask though: Where was the monitoring after deployment part of the article?
The opening paragraph appeared to promise a little more than the content delivered, but still a very interesting read, though there was no attached SProc to download/view.

Tony (Dev)
provodnik
provodnik
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Like many others have already mentioned: nice try, no substance, 7 years old. When you publish an article, please check your grammar. A few mistakes here and there for non-native speakers are OK. For a native speaker who teaches others you ought to do better.

Keep trying. Thanks for the effort you put into it 7 years ago.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
We re-run older, popular articles at times. With nearly 200,000 people joining the site in the last year, it's not "old" to them, it's likely the first time they saw it.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
steve smith-401573
steve smith-401573
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)Say Hey Kid (695 reputation)

Steve Jones - Editor (8/1/2008)
We re-run older, popular articles at times. With nearly 200,000 people joining the site in the last year, it's not "old" to them, it's likely the first time they saw it.

having read many posts from those who commented with 'disappointment' or harsher responses, my take is that this is a very good 'lite' article to help newbies get their feet wet. No newbies seemed to comment, which is consistent with newbie behavior - after you read all the 'old-timer' comments, it can get intimidating, unless you have a pressing need or specific question.

I'm disappointed that the link at the end seems to point to Brian's personal bookmarks, rather than to the actual stored procedure source.

To Steve Jones: If this is a 'rerun' of an old article, was it updated or simply reprinted? Some of the content could have been revised since then, OR perhaps the links for the subsequent articles for those of us who can't wait for the sequel articles?

I was not aware of some of these features being available in ERwin in 2001 - again, the dating is confusing if the article has been revised and brought current.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.