Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Great IT Shops

Great IT Shops

Author
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Definitely choose 2008. Not sure Vista stinks, but it isn't much better than XP in many ways, and worse in some, notably using resources.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
steve, out of interest, why would you choose 2008 at this point?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
WILLIAM MITCHELL
WILLIAM MITCHELL
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

I edited my post to sound less grouchy but I still don't think Vista and Office 2007 have any advantages over their predecessors for developers and DBA's, unless they're writing features targeted for those new versions.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

I don't think 2005 has any advantages over 2008. 2008 is essentially a 2nd version of 2005 with features bolted on. Now I wouldn't necessarily use some of those new features without extensive testing, but the core parts of 2005 are essentially those of 2005.

Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Steve Jones - Editor (1/10/2009)
I don't think 2005 has any advantages over 2008. 2008 is essentially a 2nd version of 2005 with features bolted on. Now I wouldn't necessarily use some of those new features without extensive testing, but the core parts of 2005 are essentially those of 2005.

I'm glad the "core parts of 2005 are those of 2005", I'd be disappointed if they were the core parts of 2000BigGrin

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming
At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated

You'd think I'd be used to typing 2008 by now.

The core of 2008 is the same as 2005.

EricEyster
EricEyster
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)SSC Veteran (296 reputation)

We scored a 1 out of 10...
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

Sorry to those who grump about goverment IT but here we probably rate an 8 of 10. We are an established state agency that IT people from other agencies woudl like to come work for. It has taken a few decades to get to this point but the work has been paying off.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
whereisSQL?
whereisSQL?
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (599 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (599 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (599 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (599 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (599 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (599 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (599 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (599 reputation)

Does anyone still have access to a link to the article referenced in the editorial? [url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/12/22/Top_10_qualities_of_a_great_IT_shop_1.html][/url] seems btoken
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.6K reputation)

Whether an IT department is Great or Lousy; it's determined by the aggregation of those of us in the department.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.