I have SQL Server 2000 (default) and 2005 (named instance) installed on same machine and have been working fine. However, I am into trouble since I have installed and then uninstalled DTS Designer Components on my machine. I couldn't open my Sql Server 2000 (Enterprise Edition) since then. I got the following error message: "MMC: snap-in falied to intialize". After a quick search on MSDN I found a workaround (see below 7 steps) and followed all 7 steps. Now I have this error message (SQL server tools are missing from the registry. please re-install client tools) and not sure where to head from here. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MicrosoftSQLServer\80Tools\ClientSetup 3. Right-click the ClientSetup registry subkey, point to New, and then click String Value.
4. Rename the registry subkey that you just created SqlPath, and then press ENTER.
5. Double-click the SqlPath registry subkey, and then type
C:\Program Files\MicrosoftSQLServer\80\Tools in the Value data box.
6. Click OK, and then close Registry Editor.
7. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmmc.dll", and then click OK