SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL SERVER 2005 INSTALLATION

SQL SERVER 2005 INSTALLATION

Author
Sponge-592981
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Team:

I currently work for a company that requires sql server and all applications to be installed on a separate drive (DSmile not on C: drive. Well being new here I noticed that applications are sure enough installed here and there. SQL Server specifically installed on C: drives. I would like to adhere to this policy and move these sql servers from one drive to the other.

To my knowledge SQL SERVER 2000 installations do not place everything on the designated drive path and still places some files on c: whether you like it or not. I am not sure if this applies to sql server 2005.

What I would like to know is how to do it for both. I have been trying to search on the internet on www.yahoo.com and find pretty much "nothing much" Smile

Please help:

ReshadIT@hotmail.com
Mohan Kumar
Mohan  Kumar
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

In 2005 also, C: drive will hold some binary files

--www.sqlvillage.com
Sponge-592981
Sponge-592981
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)SSC Veteran (271 reputation)

Thanks for confirming. Any idea where I can get more details to this delima?
Elisabeth Rédei
Elisabeth Rédei
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (911 reputation)SSC Eights! (911 reputation)SSC Eights! (911 reputation)SSC Eights! (911 reputation)SSC Eights! (911 reputation)SSC Eights! (911 reputation)SSC Eights! (911 reputation)SSC Eights! (911 reputation)

Hi,

Do you mean that you have installed SQL Server on C:\ but you want to manually "move" it do D:\?

Basically, what you are asking for is ALL the steps (well, a lot of them anyway Tongue ) that the SQL Server setup does when you install SQL Server.

Well, I for one cannot provide them Smile

Re-install is the only thing that springs to mind.

Smile

/Elisabeth

elisabeth@sqlserverland.com
MCITP | MCT
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/elisabeth_redei/
http://linkedin.com/in/elisabethredei
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Reinstall is all you can do. There are too many things touched in the registry, files, etc.

You can easily detach databases, uninstall, reinstall, and attach them again.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Sponge-592981
Sponge-592981
SSC Veteran

Thank you all for your timley responses.
EdVassie
EdVassie
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

The Readme file for SQL Server 2005 says how much space will be used on the system drive, and how much will be used for the program files if you direct the install to another disk. The Readme files for the SP upgrades have similar information for the additional space they require. While a SP is being installed, you normally need about 0.5 GB work space on the system drive, and a further 0.6 GB space in the system /Temp folder.

It is likely that after 3 to 5 years of applying maintenance to SQL Server 2005 you will use about 2.5 GB on the system drive, and about 0.5 GB on the program file drive. You need to plan the size of your system drive to allow for this.

The values for SQL Server 2008 will be different, but do not expect them to be lower.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 14 Mar 2017: now over 40,000 downloads.Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.Quote: When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist. - Archbishop Hélder Câmara
Sponge-592981
Sponge-592981
SSC Veteran

I am so happy I came back to view my old posts.

Thank you for this great reference!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.