SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Fast Project Rollbacks

Fast Project Rollbacks

Author
Dave Poole
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Fast Project Rollbacks

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)

Very informative article. Well written...

mike-658424
mike-658424
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (115 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (115 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (115 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (115 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (115 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (115 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (115 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (115 reputation)

In the code that generates the DROP CONSTRAINTS for the foreign keys, I can't get this to work unless I change rkeyid in the WHERE clause into fkeyid, which kinda makes sense since that is used in the OBJECT_NAME function.

Is this a mistake?

Mike
RichB
RichB
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

just buy a tool... Hehe

DataDog
DataDog
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)

Some very nice techniques and ideas in the article

But I have never rolled back a change to a production database in 10 years.

Your energy would be much better spent ensuring that deployment does not *need* to be rolled back.

And being ready to fix any minor issues that crop up ...

If you are not 100% sure deployment will succeed - do not deploy.
developmentalmadness
developmentalmadness
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)SSC Veteran (261 reputation)

Nice article! A suggestion to improve readability. If you have a table valued function which can split a delimited string then you could do the following at the top of the script:

DECLARE @Tables VARCHAR(MAX), @Views VARCHAR(MAX), @Procedures VARCHAR(MAX)

SELECT
@Tables = 'Table1,Table2,Table3',
@Views = 'View1,View2,View3',
@Procedures = 'Procedure1,Procedure2,Procedure3'

Then your WHERE clause would just look something like this

WHERE name IN (SELECT Value FROM dbo.SplitString(@Tables))

This would be more readable (you only have to look one place for which objects will be affected). If you don't like the TVF suggestion you could just declare table variables and insert the names in and your WHERE clause would just reference the table variable instead.

blog: http://developmentalmadness.blogspot.com
hurcane
hurcane
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)SSC Veteran (219 reputation)

How do you handle objects (especially tables or columns) that were removed as part of a deployment? How does the rollback script get them back? Do you never actually delete any data?

danschl
danschl
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

this if fine for views and sp's but
if you change an object

drop a field or drop a table
change foriegn keys this isnt going to be friendly

Wayne West
Wayne West
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

Interesting article, David, thanks for writing it, I'm going to need to devote some time to studying and playing with the code. I've never had to script out updates like this, but I can definitely see it as a good practice. I like the way you get things into the log, I can see using that in other processes that I currently have running.

-----
Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson
katedgrt
katedgrt
Old Hand
Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)

I really enjoyed the article and will refer back to the code snips later for sure. I'm awfully surprised by the people who 1) don't think a rollback plan is necessary (it must be nice to be perfect!) and 2) would rather buy their way out of the necessity to code. Unfortunately, I've never met a tool that would address a full migration rollback. I'm interested to know what tool we are referring to.

As for the what abouts... some of these will simply require different coding techniques, others, such as a dropped column, may require partial restores, but I agree with the author that a full restore of a production environment to undo a deployment should never be your entire plan.

Cool Kate The Great w00t
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, where will you find time to do it again?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.