Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

One line to drop a (temp) table if it exists

One line to drop a (temp) table if it exists

Author
Mike Arney
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item One line to drop a (temp) table if it exists
Paul Chu
Paul Chu
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this tip.
Didn't know Sql now has a Try / Catch.

Happy New Year !

Regards, Paul
tfountain
tfountain
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)

Seems like a nifty trick but I prefer the old fashioned way:

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#t') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #t;
Jim Russell-390299
Jim Russell-390299
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)Say Hey Kid (707 reputation)

I think I recall failing to get a try/catch block to work (but likely not with a #temp table) because (I thought) the error returned was not at a high enough level.
Any idea what I might have tripped over.
Mike Arney
Mike Arney
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (117 reputation)

First, thanks for the comment about object_id('tempdb..#t'): I did not realize that would reliably work. I was afraid if 2 sessions both had a #t, object_id() would have the same problem as something like "select * from tempdb.sys.objects where name like '#t%' ", namely, it would not distinguish between the different #t's in the different sessions. Seems that it does that just fine.

As far as the catch not working due to insufficiently severe errors, the drop of a non-existent table raises a severity 11 error. According to BOL (topic "TRY...CATCH"): "A TRY…CATCH construct catches all execution errors that have a severity higher than 10 that do not close the database connection.". So these errors are not caught:

begin try raiserror('severity 10 error, will NOT be caught', 10, 1); end try begin catch select 'catching'; end catch;
begin try print 'this print will print'; end try begin catch select 'catching'; end catch;

... but this will be caught:

begin try raiserror('higher severity error, will be caught', 11, 1); end try begin catch select 'catching'; end catch;

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)SSC Guru (71K reputation)

Mike Arney (4/15/2009)
First, thanks for the comment about object_id('tempdb..#t'): I did not realize that would reliably work. I was afraid if 2 sessions both had a #t, object_id() would have the same problem as something like "select * from tempdb.sys.objects where name like '#t%' ", namely, it would not distinguish between the different #t's in the different sessions. Seems that it does that just fine.

That's because, behind the scenes, the local temp table isn't named simply "#t". It'll be something like...

#t_________________________________________________________________________________________________________12A52C39F0

That's what allows local temp table to be session specific and also prevents mutual interfernce between sessions that all want to use a #t table.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.