SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Encrypting Data With the Encrypt Function

Encrypting Data With the Encrypt Function

Author
Brian Knight
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight/encryptfunction.asp

Brian Knight
Free SQL Server Training Webinars
gvphubli
gvphubli
Valued Member
Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Encrypt function in T-SQL is fine what about Decryption of encrytion columns.
kindly tell us how to do it!

Brian Knight
Brian Knight
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.5K reputation)

quote:

Encrypt function in T-SQL is fine what about Decryption of encrytion columns.
kindly tell us how to do it!

As I mentioned in the article, the only way to decrypt is with a comparion techinque with a WHERE clause. That's why if you would like to use a more advanced encryption/decryption system, you may have to resort to COM. Les Smith will be having some excellent articles coming out this week and next about how to use this.

Brian Knight
bknight@sqlservercentral.com
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

Brian Knight
Santosh Benjamin
Santosh Benjamin
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Supposing im creating a personnel database and want to store national insurance numbers etc , i want this to be encrypted in the table., But throught the client application front end , a personnel details administrator should be able to see the unencrypted data .. how would i do this ?

Santosh Benjamin

Santosh Benjamin
MudLuck
MudLuck
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)SSC Eights! (877 reputation)

This function does not exsist in 2000.
So inless your living in the Stone age move on.

Brian Knight
Brian Knight
SSCertifiable

quote:

Supposing im creating a personnel database and want to store national insurance numbers etc , i want this to be encrypted in the table., But throught the client application front end , a personnel details administrator should be able to see the unencrypted data .. how would i do this ?

Your best bet then would be to create some type of custom middle-ware that encrypts/decrypts your data. Les Smith (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/lsmith) has developed a few methods on doing this. You can use these to get ideas. You could possibly create a user defined function to do something like this as well. Possibly wrap an extended stored procedure into it to encrypt/decrypt it.

Brian Knight
bknight@sqlservercentral.com
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

Brian Knight
ians
ians
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)

I'm suprised noone has mentioned xp_crypt :-

http://www.vtc.ru/~andrey/xp_crypt/

Sean Burke
Sean Burke
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (524 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (524 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (524 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (524 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (524 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (524 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (524 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (524 reputation)

Now that's a cool tool. Frebbie's not too bad, and $98.00 for the full version seems a fair price for someone who needs this functionality! Are you connected with the author?

ians
ians
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)Right there with Babe (762 reputation)

quote:

Are you connected with the author?

No, in fact I haven't even tried using it myself yet. I cant even remember when I found it, but have keep a bookmark to it, I'm sure it will come in usefull one day.

Dinesh Priyankara
Dinesh Priyankara
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)SSC-Addicted (483 reputation)

I have little doubt about this. Though data is encrypted, that can be read easily.
If I inserted data like 'app' with encryption, that is shown as 'a[Odd Char]p[Odd Char]p[Odd Char]'.
I highly appreciate your reply.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.