SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Read/Write Unit

Read/Write Unit

Author
arup chakraborty
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Read/Write Unit
Vivien Xing
Vivien Xing
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)

Is it 8K page for each read or write? Please correct me if I am wrong.
arup chakraborty
arup chakraborty
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Hi, u r absolutely right. Read is the number of logical disk reads in 8KB pages. For example , if u have a read of 30, then actually SQL server reads 245760 (30*8*1024) Bytes of data.
daft
daft
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (264 reputation)SSC Veteran (264 reputation)SSC Veteran (264 reputation)SSC Veteran (264 reputation)SSC Veteran (264 reputation)SSC Veteran (264 reputation)SSC Veteran (264 reputation)SSC Veteran (264 reputation)

I'm glad 60% of people were also wrong BigGrin
Ric Sierra
Ric Sierra
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

"...What are the units of the values...?"

Your question is about the units, and I think the UNITS are BYTES (as well if you talk about the units as gallons, liters, pounds, etc).
Am I wrong?
Adi Cohn
Adi Cohn
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

I think that today’s question wasn’t a good one. Since the answer is number of 8KB pages there was no correct choice given to us. Bytes much more fits then Scalar Value but it is also not a good answer.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/
Wildcat
Wildcat
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Actually, I didn't know the "UNIT" of R/W in profiler. But, when I thought about STATISTICS_IO, I picked up the correct answer.Wink
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (167K reputation)SSC Guru (167K reputation)SSC Guru (167K reputation)SSC Guru (167K reputation)SSC Guru (167K reputation)SSC Guru (167K reputation)SSC Guru (167K reputation)SSC Guru (167K reputation)

Adi Cohn (9/25/2008)
I think that today’s question wasn’t a good one. Since the answer is number of 8KB pages there was no correct choice given to us. Bytes much more fits then Scalar Value but it is also not a good answer.

Adi

Bytes doesn't fit better. The value is the number of 8KB pages. This is a scalar value.

Perhaps the question could have been written differently, but overall, it did inspire discussion and research (and hopefully add to everyones knowledge).

Cool

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
arup chakraborty
arup chakraborty
SSCommitted

Hi Ric,

You r right abt the Unit. This is like gallon, meter, gram etc. But actually logical read and write has no unit, they are only numbers. (Even not bytes)
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Easy but good questions ......

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.