Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Reporting Services: Read Data from SSAS and SQL Server in One Dataset

Reporting Services: Read Data from SSAS and SQL Server in One Dataset

Author
Martin Cremer
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Reporting Services: Read Data from SSAS and SQL Server in One Dataset
redact207
redact207
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Great work, Martin!
Robert Frasca
Robert Frasca
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (610 reputation)SSChasing Mays (610 reputation)SSChasing Mays (610 reputation)SSChasing Mays (610 reputation)SSChasing Mays (610 reputation)SSChasing Mays (610 reputation)SSChasing Mays (610 reputation)SSChasing Mays (610 reputation)

Thanks for providing some examples of things that didn't work and why, particularly the part about issues when you went from your local server to a production server. I wish I had a dollar for every time something worked great locally and then fell apart in production. I have spent countless hours trying to chase these down only to find out that I just needed to check the right box. Your explanation will save a lot of people like me many hours of research.

I also liked how you worked in some excellent points with regard to the proper way to use a table variable versus a temp table versus a "real" table.

Great article.

"Beliefs" get in the way of learning.
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Great article....

Ben Holcombe-270296
Ben Holcombe-270296
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)

After more research I am editing my post

This is actually looking to be more like a double hop authentication issue than anykind of 64bit incompatiability.

This example is great one and solves several challenges that I am facing.

I am having one technical problem when implementing the Linked Server. It appears that there is a problem with the 64-bit version of the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Analysis Services 9.0 provider when you attempt to query the linked server from a 32 bit instance like a client machine. I can successfully run queries from a 64bit machine but a 32 bit results in an error.

Has anyone experienced this similar behavior and hopefully found a solution?
Martin Cremer
Martin Cremer
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (146 reputation)

Hi Ben,

how did you configure the Security tab of the Linked Server Properties?

I attached a screen shot where I erased the login names.
In the red area you can assign a remote user (that is the user who logs on to Analysis Services) to a local user (the login used for the SQL Server database).

In the blue area you can use a standard login for SSAS. I would only use this for testing purposes because that would mean that everybody, who can connect to SQL Server database, can connect to SSAS as well.

In both cases you have to specify the Windows account (as Domain\Username), which should log on to SSAS, in the remote user/login-field.

For your problem, I would try the "blue" thing. If you can connect to SSAS, you know your problem is security-related.

I hope this was of any help.

Take care,
Martin
Attachments
linked_Cube.JPG (18 views, 51.00 KB)
Ben Holcombe-270296
Ben Holcombe-270296
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)

I had it configured with the radio button set to "Be made using the login's current security context" but after setting it to "Be made using this security context" the connection succeeded. After digging into the issue it looks like I have underlying configuration problems with Kerberos and SPN's that I need to work on.

Thanks
kupy
kupy
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Hi Martin,

As i posted here Problem with linked server,
I have problem with the linked server, it work fine but from time to time I get this error
"Cannot create an instance of OLE DB provider "MSOLAP" for linked server "SALES_CUBE". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 7302)"
restarting the SQL fix the problem' but this times i have to restart SQL on a daily base.

Any advice?
Kupy
ramu4ind-1123836
ramu4ind-1123836
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Hi all,

I am also facing similar issue when i move the linked server script from Developement enciroment to uat it creates linked server . When i tyrto test the connection it says ""Cannot create an instance of OLE DB provider "MSOLAP" for linked server Cube".Please helpme with the same is it a security issue
ejaluronaldlee
ejaluronaldlee
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

This article is excellent.

Thank you so much,

Ronaldlee
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.