SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

When Is Work, Work?

When Is Work, Work?

Author
geoffrey.sturdy
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Morning David

This must be a very American attitude - even the SME I started my career in offered paid training (although that was more as an incentive to stay as the wages were poor) - when I went to SQL in the city last week I was pleased to see a few grey hairs in the audience but it still seems to be a shibbolith in our industry that after 40 you are either in management or out of the industry. I can tell you for a fact that back in 2004 I saw an advert for a DBA in a UK industry magazine stating "applicants over 35 need not apply" - do you think that just because such an advert became illegal here in 2006 that organisations such as that suddenly changed their attitude? this from an industry that is always clamouring for more overseas work permits as there is a "skills shortage" here:Crazy
David.Poole
David.Poole
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
geoffrey.sturdy (6/26/2013)

This must be a very American attitude

I suspect its a Northern England attitude. In the interests of maintaining a 558 year cease fire I won't mention the colour of the rose involved!

I got started with SQL Server when an American company sent me on the original SQL6.5 courses (both of them). I've paid for some SQL Bits events myself and managed to claim back a few but that is mainly because I wrote up my notes to share with colleagues and peer so could legitimately claim I went in the interests of my company.

I have a friend who is paid towards the bottom end of his job salary range but his company insists on keeping their staff fully up-to-date on all certifications. He likes the people he works with, the location he works in and as long as he has enough to pay the bills he's happy. In fact, short of winning the lottery, he considers himself to have died and gone to heaven!

LinkedIn Profile

Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.