Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

working with multiple dataset withing a table in SSRS

working with multiple dataset withing a table in SSRS

Author
Cody K
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)SSC Veteran (255 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I concur with SSC-Enthusiastic.

You'll only need to cross data sets if the two things you want to mesh are from different servers. Otherwise you can combine the two tables (even across databases) in a single T-SQL statement, and then use simple groups on the table to display it how you want.

2008R2 lets you do limited lookups, and another poster mentioned code-behind, but I consider such trickery to be beyond most mere mortals and usually more trouble than they're worth Tongue

PS: I don't usually resort to violence but the world would be a better place with one less scab in particular from this thread leaving alive.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

Doug Lane (10/13/2010)
Jack isn't saying multiple datasets are bad; he's saying trying to blend multiple datasets in the same table control is bad. RS just wasn't designed to take more than one dataset per control. That said, whether we can all get along or not, gjyothi still would like help.

If I understand the problem correctly, you want to show something like this:

Invoice1
___MeterInfo1 ... ... ... ...
___MeterInfo2 ... ... ... ...
___MeterInfo3 ... ... ... ...
Invoice2
___MeterInfo1 ... ... ... ...
___...

If that's the case, I think Jack is right in that it's easier to merge two sets of data on the back end than it is to try to mash them together in RS. If someone has a more efficient hack for that, I'd love to hear it.

Edit:I just noticed there was a whole second page of posts after I responded, so, um, yeah...sorry about that.

This is an old post and I suspect the OP is long gone... however... a simple two level hierarchical result set would certainly do the job here. A hierarchyID column (or the equivalent) to sort on would do the job nicely.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
websolprov
websolprov
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

I came across the following post which may be of use to the OP:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic429975-150-1.aspx?Update=1 also do you think that perhaps using a list as a "back bone" off which you can then group and hook the other datasets too using parameters?

www.host-junction.net
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Please note that this thread is 2 years old.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

Heh... makes no moxnix... some revived conversations are just as fun. ;-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
websolprov
websolprov
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Yes I realise that, but very often the threads will be referred to over and over again as people learn from what others have done before them. I am sure that if it was irrelevant then people would have marked it for archive.

www.host-junction.net
stan.goodvibes
stan.goodvibes
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

Exactly. I've got the same issue 2 years on and here I am in this thread. I've got a pretty complicated annual statement report for about 2000 superannuation members, each one about 10 pages long and lots of detailed tables about different stuff for each member. Doing it all in on Stored Proc would be a nightmare.

So I have a main SP that gets all the basic info for each member (name address etc etc) then I need to call a load of other procs for each member. I think the subreport option is going to be the best bet. Not sure why I didn't think of that!

BTW it was worth it to see BSRLong in action. Good to see that the thread made it back on subject. Hopefully he is off spending less time on forums and more time on learning english and basic social skills...

Thanks for all your input,

Dave
Amit Raut
Amit Raut
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (829 reputation)SSC Eights! (829 reputation)SSC Eights! (829 reputation)SSC Eights! (829 reputation)SSC Eights! (829 reputation)SSC Eights! (829 reputation)SSC Eights! (829 reputation)SSC Eights! (829 reputation)

Hey BSRLong,

Where are you? And where is your solution? ;-)
stan.goodvibes
stan.goodvibes
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)Grasshopper (12 reputation)

Amit Raut (10/9/2013)
Hey BSRLong,

Where are you? And where is your solution? ;-)

hahahahaha God what a blast from the past this thread is. Can't believe that was over 2 years ago.

I somehow managed to struggle on with my solution without any further input from BSRLong, God only knows how...

:-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.