SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

data modeling using MS visio

data modeling using MS visio

Author
MuditGupta
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi there,

I am using MS VISIO 2007 for data modeling. It seems there isn't an option for creating many to many relationship between entities. Is it so?
If yes, then what one can do.

Please advise

Thanks
Fraggle-805517
Fraggle-805517
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

There isn't that I am aware of because in good modeling, you are not suppose to have a many-to-many relationship. You should put an associate table between them.

Hope that helps
MuditGupta
MuditGupta
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)Right there with Babe (745 reputation)

Its helpful.
I got your point

Thanks
Ian Scarlett
Ian Scarlett
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.3K reputation)

Your logical data model can have many-to-many relationships, but they usually gets resolved with an associative table when you create the physical model.

BTW, I tried using Visio to model a database with > 150 tables, and Visio became so slow that it was unusable. If your company will pay for it, ask them to get ErWin or ER/Studio instead. They are both Sooo much easier to use... and they support many-to-many relationships in your logical model!

MuditGupta
MuditGupta
Right there with Babe

yeah, i am creating 'glue' tables for defining many to many relationship.
I think this approach makes model more flexible -- adaptive to future changes.

ERwin & Visio:
That is so true.
Erwin is tons better than Visio. Its a compact tool for DM having many nice n powerful features.
btw, I am using Visio professional and it doesn't has Fwd engineering i.e. creating DB from data model Sad
Doing that wud be another pain
bettycarson09
bettycarson09
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Microsoft Visio toolbox Information Technology Professionals manage and execute a broad range of tasks
that are critical to the success of their enterprises. On this page we attempt to guide you to information that is most relevant to your business responsibilities.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.