I was using the locals window which lists all the runtime values when you view them at breakpoint execution.
Hoever, in all my frustration because i thought i'm following the process 100% to get this set up, i decided to start a brand new package and declare the variables from scratch. And WHAT DO YOU know, it worked. So i suppose it was again one of those freaky situations where you cannot find the error and when you re-do it , there is no error.
So eventually i got it figured out to the point where my OLEDB source can now select data from the source system, using the variable in the where clause as the starting point. And my entire fact table load completed successfully