Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

data archiving

data archiving

Author
gan-685682
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
that mean I need to go thru' trial-and-error? Thanks anyway
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)

Heh... no... trust me... I just got done reducing/archiving a 131 million row table to a 44 million row table using the 20k method I spoke of... on a 24/7 system. Wink I don't make recommendations unless I've actually done them (and the related trial and error).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
     Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is usually not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
gan-685682
gan-685682
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)SSC Journeyman (81 reputation)

Great, you looks confident! how you do partitioning switching? dynamic queries? manual? how often? weekly? monthly?
using the 20k method? what 20k method?
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)

Depends on what your partitions are based on. Mine are based on a "CampaignID"... any campaign that hasn't had a new row added to it in 90 days gets archived. I just do a select/group by on the CampaignID and the Max LoadDate vs GETDATE() and loop through the campaigns to do the Insert/Delete's. It's actually a double loop... inside loop does the archival insert/delete 20K rows at a time as previously determined by divided the number of rows present for that campaign by 20k.

I can't use a partitioned view to do it because I need to log which underlying table the campaign was in for possible restore processes. As you suggest, a bit of dynamic SQL takes care of all that.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever

Almost forgot... at my previous job, the archive process ran nightly. At my current job, it runs on Monday and Thursday nights. First run may take a day or more to complete, but it's online all the time. After that, the daily jobs (same as the first job) are a piece of cake and may only take a couple of seconds to execute depending, of course, how many rows slip past your cutoff date on any given day.

Some folks have suggested that such a thing be built into a trigger... past experience tells me that will eventually turn out to be a source of deadlocks on high volume systems.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
gan-685682
gan-685682
SSC Journeyman

thanks for your explaination. BigGrin
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.