SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

A Release from Data

A Release from Data

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (147K reputation)SSC Guru (147K reputation)SSC Guru (147K reputation)SSC Guru (147K reputation)SSC Guru (147K reputation)SSC Guru (147K reputation)SSC Guru (147K reputation)SSC Guru (147K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Release from Data

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
mackie
mackie
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi Steve,

Great article. I agree that there are many times where you would really like to say what you want to the client / co-worker / boss, but the problem comes in that if you say what you want you will get fired as well as potentially sit with a lawsuit on your hands - Which isn't all too pleasing to think about.

So yes, I do believe that you need to find something to relieve the stress and to keep your body active, because if you don't you might find that in 10 year's time you would've become physically sick because of not dealing with stress as well as due to not doing any physical activity.

I haven't tried to do Martial Arts yet, but what I DO do is go rock climbing indoors during the week and outdoors over weekends to relieve stress. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but man, it does what I need it to do - Relieves a LOT of stress and it's quite a workout.

I enjoy your editorials very much, so keep it up!

Kind Regards,
Colin Macguire
Derek Karpinski
Derek Karpinski
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (716 reputation)Right there with Babe (716 reputation)Right there with Babe (716 reputation)Right there with Babe (716 reputation)Right there with Babe (716 reputation)Right there with Babe (716 reputation)Right there with Babe (716 reputation)Right there with Babe (716 reputation)

Loved the picture of Uyeshiba...

Fell in love with Aikido when I was young. Then at my first proper job with the Civil Service there was an aikido club on premises, that used the Tomiki style.

Got the blood pumping to refresh those grey cells after wrestling with the inticacies of VME2900 - which I loved - a language that had WHENEVER and UNLESS clauses?

Current stress reliever in our office is the powerball championship, and of course the savagely competitive croquet league.
IceDread
IceDread
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)

I have trained martial arts for years but the last few years I've not hade the time to do so.
fuller.artful
fuller.artful
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)

It would appear that you're correct about the correlation between coding and martial arts. I am yet another one -- ten years of Shotokan and two years of taikwan-do. I haven't practised for some years, and I've recently moved to Bermuda. I managed to find a Shotokan dojo not far from my house and a store where I can buy a new gi. I plan to resume my study.

Arthur

Arthur Fuller
cell: 647-710-1314

Only two businesses refer to their clients as users: drug-dealing and software development.
-- Arthur Fuller
Rachel Hawley
Rachel Hawley
Valued Member
Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)Valued Member (65 reputation)

Although I'm not a martial art-ist, I do agree with the notion of focussing on hitting a pad to release stress. I had my first go at boxing last week, and admittedly my first few girly punches were tentative, but once I got into it I managed to punch out a huge amount of pent up stress.

I couldn't move my upper body at all the next day, but that shouldn't detract from how good it felt at the time!
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)SSC Guru (99K reputation)

I know Steve emphasized hitting pads as a way to take off the stress, but I don't mind suggesting, if you don't object to a few bruises (and jambed fingers and a scrape or three) actual sparring with a live body is twice as relaxing as hitting the bag. Nothing like getting your licks in on another individual. You just have to be willing to take a few too.

BTW, thanks to the work I did for Andy, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed finally relented and let me buy a gas powered hydraulic splitter. It's still a lot of work, but not nearly as stress relieving as swinging the maul was.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Grant Fritchey (8/14/2008)
I know Steve emphasized hitting pads as a way to take off the stress, but I don't mind suggesting, if you don't object to a few bruises (and jambed fingers and a scrape or three) actual sparring with a live body is twice as relaxing as hitting the bag. Nothing like getting your licks in on another individual. You just have to be willing to take a few too.

Grant,
So true - although now that I'm older it takes alot longer for stuff to heal!

I think martial arts can give you more focus when working through problems.

Mark
Someguy
Someguy
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (505 reputation)

Just a reminder that the other sidetrack for computer people is music. Being a keyboard player and singer I go out on the weekends and pound keys. I have a friend who beats on drums. I'm afraid that's it. My activities for indulging my inner warrier are limited to shooting aliens and other bad guys in the virtual realm. Can you say "Call of Duty" and "DOOM"? Smooooth

Grasshopper
Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)Grasshopper (23 reputation)

That explains why there are 4 software developers out of 12 adults in our dojo. Plenty of times during warm-ups we are talking about coding or technology in general.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.