SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Agent Job Fails when domain user is owner

SQL Agent Job Fails when domain user is owner

Author
huskerwendy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I can't execute any jobs with a domain user as the owner. As a work around, I've been using sa as the owner, but for this job it won't work because I have to access some directories on the network and we want to give those permissions to a specific login. Does anyone know what I need to do in order to execute a job with a domain user as the owner?

Error Message:

The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (domain\user.name) of job jobname has server access (reason: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'domain\user.name', error code 0x5. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 15404)).

Thanks!

Wendy Schuman
Deepak-405225
Deepak-405225
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)

You can try as follows,

1. Keep the job owner as sa (sysadmin) and in the job step use xp_cmdshell
2. Ensure that the Sql Service account has necessary permissions to the folders you wish to access because xp_cmdshell for a sysadmin will run under the context of Sql service account.

Also please check if this link helps, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241643/

- Deepak
huskerwendy
huskerwendy
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Hi Deepak,

I got it to work as you mentioned by keeping the job owner sa and then giving the necessary permissions to the directories to the SQL Server Agent service account. I didn't need to do anything with xp_cmdshell because the job is actually executing an SSIS package.

Thanks!

Wendy Schuman
Alan Spillert
Alan Spillert
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

The job failed. Unable to determine if the owner (domain\user) of job NAME has server access (reason: Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user error code 0x54b. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 15404)).,00:00:39,0,0,,,,0

The owner of the job and the step "Run as" accounts were different. Both were admins on the server and had DBO rights to the database. The job consisted of three steps - an OS step, and two SQL queries. It failed to run when the two accounts differed; when they were both the same it worked.

System is SQL Server 2005 SP3 standard running on Windows Server 2003, with all the latest patches.

Rick.Cornell.SME
Rick.Cornell.SME
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Deepak are you from Cleveland?
HKruger 45488
HKruger 45488
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)SSC Journeyman (75 reputation)

I have the same issue but my job will randomly fail. Fails about 3 times a day and it runs every 30 minutes. What can be the cause of this?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.