SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Lazy Developers - Database Weekly (2008/07/28)

Lazy Developers - Database Weekly (2008/07/28)

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Lazy Developers - Database Weekly (2008/07/28)

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Loner
Loner
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I agreed there were many lazy developers around. Many developers just knew a few basic commands and somehow they could do their jobs. They used the same template to write their procedures over and over again instead of looking for some good ways of doing things. Even when other developers showed them how to do things better, they refused to learn either due to laziness or they had a big ego. In my case I felt some of my male co-workers especially had a hard time to listen to a female developer. Hehe
Charles O'Halloran
Charles O'Halloran
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

Yeah, boy oh boy, those lazy developers. Good thing none of them read these weekly round ups.
P Jones
P Jones
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Only GOOD developers read the editorials as they (dare I say we) are the ones keen to further their knowledge and are often DBAs too!
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)SSC Guru (145K reputation)

Hey, lazy is a strength as well. It's part of the reason we have so many tools and utilities. Developers build things so they don't have to work.

So why don't they learn the better way to do things and build something to help them there? It's the "selectively lazy" that can be a problem.

And I'm not immune myself.

Manie Verster
Manie Verster
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Yeah, boy oh boy, those lazy developers. Good thing none of them read these weekly round ups.

Heh, heh, heh I have a surprise for you!!! I am a developer and proud of it. I am also acting as a DBA for my clients and very much still in training but I bet that with my experience as a developer and working as a DBA I will (maybe not knowledge wise but eagerness to learn wise) kick all of your smartass DBA butts. I have learned a lot from this website and have a lot of respect for the people running it but I have never seen a lot of smuck and snobistic people like those that claim themselves to be DBAs. Shoot, we all are just trying to do our jobs here please!!!

:-PManie Verster
Developer
Johannesburg
South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)

Manie Verster (8/2/2008)

Heh, heh, heh I have a surprise for you!!! I am a developer and proud of it.

Guess what. You ain't the only one.
I do hope there were a couple of smilies intended in your message.... Wink

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Charles O'Halloran
Charles O'Halloran
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

Manie Verster (8/2/2008)

Heh, heh, heh I have a surprise for you!!!

I have a surprise for you. I too, am a developer. I was using sarcasm to gently chide the author of a particularly offensive editorial.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Charles,

The editorial wasn't meant to be offensive, and wasn't aimed any particular individual.

However if you can say that you've never worked with developers that don't want to make efforts to write code to handle simple things like parameters and data conversions on the client, I'd be amazed. The Internet is full of samples, articles, white papers, etc. that show they don't do it.

Charles O'Halloran
Charles O'Halloran
Grasshopper

I'd be amazed if you hadn't worked with a lazy DBA or two as well, but lets not tar all DBA's with the same brush.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.