Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How did you learn SQL

How did you learn SQL

Author
egaytan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have been assigned a program for work called PDMWorks Enterprise that uses SQL 2005 for the metadata. Do you have any good resources on how to learn SQL 2005?
Places in Detroit or online that offer training? Any free training would be useful but the company is willing to pay for training.
Deviprasad
Deviprasad
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (144 reputation)

MSDN and books online
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)

For a good series of freebie tutorials
SSQL Tutorials
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms169620.aspx

A specific subject matter tutorial (SQL Server Management Studio)
Try this amongst many others
SSMS
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms166547.aspx

If your company is willing to pay try this for a list of MS books
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895927.aspx

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
OptimusPrime
OptimusPrime
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

May I suggest SQL Server 2005 learning CDs/DVDs.
This will get you up to speed fast and you will be posting replies here pretty soon! Smile
Regards
Venkatesan Prabu
Venkatesan Prabu
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (126 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (126 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (126 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (126 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (126 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (126 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (126 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (126 reputation)

Check my blog for some basic stuffs

http://venkattechnicalblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks and Regards,
Venkatesan Prabu, Tongue
My Blog:

http://venkattechnicalblog.blogspot.com/
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I am part owner in End to End Training, in Orlando, but good training. We do have a custom mentoring course if you want it.

Are you looking to admin or develop stuff? Two different training scenarios. I'd recommend picking up a book on the side you want to learn and work through it. That will help somewhat.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Goldie Lesser
Goldie Lesser
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)SSC-Addicted (486 reputation)

Personally, I have found that one of the best ways to learn T-SQL is by reading through the posts on this site. Smile
I come on here every morning, read the questions asked, and try to solve the problem.
Then I look to see if anyone else had a better solution.
Atif-ullah Sheikh
Atif-ullah Sheikh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

MSDN, Books Online and Google are your best companions.

ALOT of stuff ot there... All you need is TIME...

Atif Sheikh

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.

You can check my BLOG here

egaytan
egaytan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Do you have a suggestion for a place to buy the DVD/CD training video?
OptimusPrime
OptimusPrime
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

check out appdev.com. That's where I got my CDs when I started to learn SQL Server 7.

The SQL Server 2000 DVDs are only 500 bucks. And that set will give you everything you need to learn including admin and t-sql. With this, you learn at your own pace. But you need to be dedicated in learning it.

The 2005 version is still a bit pricey. But if your company is paying for it, it will be worth their investment.

Also, I recommend this book: "The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL" Its by by Ken Henderson. Its nice to read on your commute home.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.