SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Operations Manager and SQL Server

Operations Manager and SQL Server

Author
Wayne West
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
That looks very neat, but considering the cost of getting into Management Server, I doubt we'll ever see it here.

-----
Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson
Ameena Lalani-347953
Ameena Lalani-347953
Valued Member
Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)

I was looking for information like this. We have recently implemented SCOM and as a DBA I need to learn part of it. Yesterday I upgraded one of my moitored server to sql 2005 with sp2 and latest hotfix. Today SCOM sents an alert saying this installation does not have sevice pack. We checked to make sure. We have other tools and we found that it was a false alert.
Ronald C Hagerman
Ronald C Hagerman
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)

Thanks for the article.

I used it to create a view into our depot servers Smile

We assign roles to all of our servers so I used your method to get the role name out of the registry.

Very nice and well done

Thanks!
Davuth Te
Davuth Te
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (112 reputation)

OpsManager reminds me a lot of another product, Data Palette (www.stratavia.com). Does anyone have experience using both products? If so, what are the pros and cons of each?
Keith Mescha
Keith Mescha
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)SSC Journeyman (82 reputation)

Tom, I did finally get this all setup and thanks a ton for this. I am still having some issues on certain instances not showing up. I'll dig more but wonder if you had similar issues.

Certain SQL2005 cluster instances are not showing up. Some are however so that is strange.

Also I have one named instance on SQL2000 that doesn't get caught. I'll start digging into the Registry keys tomorrow to see what's up but if you had run into this you might save me some time.

Thanks,

2/9/2010
Update I have figured out that the Registry key that this article is pointing to is the default instance key for SQL Server. So on servers without a default instance (We have a few) this will not work. Still looking for other options and will post back when I find one.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.