Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Short cut key

Short cut key

Author
Shaun McGuile
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
bitbucket: I declare you w00t"guilty" w00t of not reading this thread! Wink

As stated by me and others before you have to be in a query window for this to work.

You have to highlight the text of the object name and then press Alt+F1.

Its a bad question maybe when we get to 15/08/2008 the poster will have corrected it BigGrin

or better yet taken it down and reconsidered the whole concept.BigGrin

BigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrinBigGrin

--Shaun

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work Crazy
Tom Garth
Tom Garth
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

bitbucket (7/15/2008)
Hari.Sharma
Just select a table name and press Alt+F1 and see the result...

Using SSMS (SQL Express) pressed f8 to bring up object explorer. Selected a database (Northwind), then selected a table name in the object explorer window pressed Alt+F1, and nothing absolutely nothing happend

Using SSMS (Developer Edition) repeated above key strokes and nothing absolutely nothing happend

You have to have a query window open, and it must have the focus. You will get the sp_help results for the database of the selected object in Object Explorer.

Highlighting an object name that is spelled out in the query window will return sp_help for the object when the shortcut is used.

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

getsourav
getsourav
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

I have tried this with my Management Studio 2005.I select a table and then press alt + f1.It brings absolutely nothing.

what may the reason!
GSquared
GSquared
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

I just tried this, and Alt+F1 did absolutely nothing that I could see in Management Studio. If it runs sp_help, it did so invisibly.

(Does this mean I have to wait till the date of the question for this to work? Smile )

Edit: I just checked the article linked to, and it does not seem to have Alt+F1 in it. I searched for that string in the page, and it comes up with Ctrl+Alt+F1 (which does stuff in BOL), but nothing about Alt+F1.

The Tools\Options window in Management Studio says that Alt+F1 runs sp_help. I tried a few options. If I select an object in the object explorer window, it does absolutely nothing. If I open a connection to a specific database, make sure that the connection's window has the focus, and then hit Alt+F1, it will run sp_help for the database, but not for a proc that I have selected in the object explorer window.

So, yeah, it will do what the question says. Sort of. Under limited circumstances. And not in a particularly useful fashion. But it does do it.

Others have found the same thing, obviously.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Chad Crawford
 Chad Crawford
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Cool. I like it. I'll be using this frequently to quickly double check column types or foreign keys while writing scripts. Very handy, thanks!

Thanks,
Chad
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
OK, I accidentally marked this as published instead of pending. I'll remove all answers, and you can re-do this one on the 15th.

I guess it made sense to me. I just brought up a query window and tried it, but I can see why you would think that it was an Object Explorer thing. I'll reword the question.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Karl_Chand
Karl_Chand
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (282 reputation)SSC Veteran (282 reputation)SSC Veteran (282 reputation)SSC Veteran (282 reputation)SSC Veteran (282 reputation)SSC Veteran (282 reputation)SSC Veteran (282 reputation)SSC Veteran (282 reputation)

I did try it. Even though the keyboard had defaults setting. I hope the attached details does show the difference. Keyboard shortcuts can be customised and I usually change the defaults to my liking however, I had reverted to default setting before trying it.
Attachments
sp_help_vs_AltF1.doc (16 views, 198.00 KB)
Shaun McGuile
Shaun McGuile
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (585 reputation)

Jamie Longstreet (7/16/2008)
I was recently at a SQL Server Users Group where some of the users had never seen that you can highlight a portion of text and run it. I was shocked because I learned it early on. Maybe the problem with the question is that not everyone instantly jumps into the SQL Manager, pastes code and runs with it.

CrazyThats wild!Crazy

You mean people didn't read the book/readme.txt/(fxxxing) manual/wiki/knowledge base/help... BigGrin previous posts BigGrin ...?

Now why am I not shocked? BigGrin

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work Crazy
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

I only answered this so I could jump a month into the future and thus be on holiday.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
mtassin
mtassin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

george sibbald (7/16/2008)
I only answered this so I could jump a month into the future and thus be on holiday.

Me too Smile

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.